Can't get gas to motor

Up north

Sitting for four years with gas in it will require you to do the ENTIRE fuel system. Tank, lines, pump, and carb should all be removed and gone through. Lots of time and work, and most people won’t bother to do it correctly, and suffer the effects for a long time afterword. Unfortunately there is no shortcut for old bad gas.

Even though you drained the gas tank, there still may be the "varnish" residue in the bottom of the tank.  New gas on that could dissolve some, that will then possibly make the valves stick.  It's one of those "ask me how I know" pieces of advice.

Ed is correct.  There's no shortcut, the gas tank needs to come out and be cleaned, and then you need to rebuild fuel pump and carburetor to handle this new gas.  Ethanol will eat away the diaphragm of the fuel pump and the accelerator pump of your carburetor, unless they've been rebuilt recently.

Good luck with it....

• Like 1

When I had that problem with  my old cars, I'd change filters, but they would just get dirty and clogged within an hour of driving - gas tank was the issue. Hopefully you can find a NOS or new replacement gas tank for your model of car. If it's a station wagon, however, that could be hard to do (unless it's a Nomad or maybe a 49-51 Ford woody.) Then the only solution is to have the gas tank removed, cleaned and recoated on the inside. You could try to save money by doing it yourself, but I wouldn't if you haven't done it before because the coating can flake off if not done right, making matters worse. There could be an easy fix to this by replacing the fuel line, but if the fuel line is corroded bad, that tank will be suspect, too.

They don't recommend using clear plastic fuel filters in cars, but they can be helpful after you get the problem addressed to see how well the repair is working.

Just to add to what Roger suggests, if you do use air to blow out the gas line, disconnect it from both the tank and the carb. On another post a while ago a gentleman stated that he disconnected the line from the carb and blew the junk back into the tank. Big mistake that will come back to haunt him.