1942 Buick 90 Series Body Styles

Tom Laferriere

Hello All,

I need to dig a little deeper into the differences of the 4 bodies offered in the 90 series 1942 Buick.  According to the Standard Catalog, there are these bodies offered on the 90 series 1942 Model:

• 90 4 door touring sedan 8 passenger
  • 90L 4 door limo 8 passenger
  • 91 4 door touring sedan 6 passenger
  • 90F  Formal Sedan 6 Passenger

1. I am thinking the 90 and 90L differences would be a partition in the Limo with maybe leather in the front on the Limo.  Both having jump seats, but touring sedan having all cloth interior and no partition.  I am guessing the same body
  2. The 91 and 90F are 6 passenger bodies and Formal Sedans usually have a padded roof which also covers the quarter window...on Packards anyway.  
  3. Are the 6 passenger body and 8 passenger body the same or does the 8 passenger have a "longer" body to accommodate the jump seats.

Can anyone help me shed some light on this?  

Bodies are all identical from the outside and more or less the same as 1941 save for the updated 1942 nose and fenders. No padded roof or blind quarters except on the special-order Brunn cars in '41, of which only two or three still exist. You've got the rest of it correct:

Model 90: 8-passenger touring sedan (jump seats, no divider, matching upholstery throughout)

Model 90L: 8-passenger limousine (jump seats, divider, leather front seat)

Model 91: 6-passenger touring sedan (no jump seats, no divider, matching upholstery throughout)

Model 91F: 6-passenger formal sedan (no jump seats, unusual curved divider, not sure of front seat upholstery, but my semi-expert guess is that it would be cloth throughout)

Wheelbase on all cars is 139 inches and the interiors are all the same size with roughly equivalent trim and fittings aside from the switches for the divider. The jump seats or lack thereof changes nothing about the dimensions. 6-passenger cars just have MASSIVE amounts of leg room.

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
On 2/25/2019 at 3:14 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Model 90: 8-passenger touring sedan (jump seats, no divider, matching upholstery throughout)

Model 90L: 8-passenger limousine (jump seats, divider, leather front seat)

Model 91: 6-passenger touring sedan (no jump seats, no divider, matching upholstery throughout)

Model 91F: 6-passenger formal sedan (no jump seats, unusual curved divider, not sure of front seat upholstery, but my semi-expert guess is that it would be cloth throughout)

Matt, do you know the difference in the curved divider on the Formal and the Limo Divider (straight?)