D45 - Learning About Them

Are there any "experts" out there who understand D45s? 

How are they as touring cars? 

Are there tech sessions, or other sources, for learning the cars? 

Must one be an engineer to enjoy? 

Were they the larges "teens" Buick for touring in the day? 

What are values in the market place? 

Thank you for whatever information you can provide. 

I have an unrestored 1917 D45. I would be glad to talk with you about my experiences to date.  Dean Tryon out of Wake Forest maintains a 1915 to 1918 Registry.   You do not need to join any other clubs to get his newsletters. If you sign up for his newsletter,  you will get a digital copy of all the newsletters, a list of members and an index of all tech info in his newsletters.  The D series cars in 1916 and 1917 were 115"wheel base and the late 1917 and 1918 E series cars were a 124 " wheel base.  There can be some debate about cars in the transition from one model to the other and the actual year  of the cars. 

Send me a PM and I will send you my phone number, email address and home address. 

Bob Engle

'

I have an early production 1916 D-45 (built in calendar year 1915) that has been in my family for going on 56 years this coming June.  Bob gave you some excellent advice.  By all means get signed up for Dean Tryon's Newsletter.  Do you have a D-45 now?  If you do, could you post some photos of it for us.  We love photos on here.  You have found the right place for technical help.  Ask away and ye shall get all the help you can ever hope to want.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I do not have a D45 but a good friend does and I have driven and been a passenger it in, it seems quiet and fast, well built, and comfortable, so it would be a good touring car.  Anyone with time and experience should be able to figure the car without being an engineer.  In 1916 the largest Buick was the D 55, a seven passenger touring car, but the last year of production.  Would not speak to value in the market place, I would say all of the '16's and up of most manufacturers are reasonable to purchase and enjoy.  The value of the car depends upon the purchaser, IMHO, the 'D45 can de driven to the local cruise nights, to the beach, around town and AACA events,  For touring in larger national events such as the Snapper's and HCCA then you need a 1915 and earlier autos, then you will notice the price rises.

Hope this gives you some answers you are seeking, good luck.  Gary

• Like 1
20 hours ago, JRM said:

Were they the largest "teens" Buick for touring in the day? 

No, the D-55 which goes back to the C-55 and B-55 were much larger. They had the giant 331 engine and huge 36 x 4.5 tires (!!), they were the Buick that was too big for its britches so was replaced by the smaller E-49, which was still bigger than the D-45.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

Thank you, all, for your postings and willingness to help.

Bob, I was just looking at some older emails (2016) between Dean and me. I reached out to him for help in identifying a car in the background of a photo of my father sometime around 1920.

I’d like to send you a PM, but don’t know how. Any pointers?

Terry, I do not currently have a D45. But, back in 2016, you helped to identify the car (above) behind my father. The photo had three people standing in front of likely a “teen” car with a Biflex bumper. One of the persons is my father and the other two are an uncle and aunt of mine. Unfortunately, my dad and the others didn’t think that I’d want to identify the car more easily, 100 years later, by allowing me to see the grille.

Lind Coop believed the photo likely shows a “teenage” Buick with an early ‘20s after-market bumper.