automuseum

Help identify this car

That bulbous cowl is driving me crazy... I know I have seen a car with a cowl like this before but I can't remember what it is!

Help with identifying the car, year, make, model would be most appreciated. 

7088 Hector McKinnon and family in automobile on mountain road.jpg

Maybe Marmon? Cowl styles changed very quickly in that era. Date possibly late 1913?

Other possibilities include Pierce-Arrow and Peerless but I don't think the body is right for those.

Marmon usually had very large rear hubs up to the model 34 which predominately used wire wheels. That Studebaker sure looks close.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The cowl of the mystery car is almost flat across the top - some not seen on many cars.

Note also it appears to have no hood louvres. Only a few US makers had that feature.

On the mystery car there is a cover over the springs(?) in front of the rear fender. It is very similar to the one on Leif's Studebaker photo.

I agree this is almost certainly a 1913 Studebaker. Virtually everything matches, comparing it to this pic from a 2006 Bonham's auction. The fact that hood louves are not visible doesn't bother me, as I think they may be there and they just don't show in that mage. Tried to enhance the photo, but no luck...

13stude.jpg

With many thanks to all for your help... Confirmed, 1913 Studebaker.

This research was for the Revelsoke (BC) Museum and Archives in response to this email message: "What can you tell me about this car? That is Hector McKinnon driving, and the boy in the middle is probably Archie McKinnon, who was born in 1907 or 1908. We are thinking of using this photo in our upcoming Mount Revelstoke exhibit."

The Museum & Archives is delighted and sends its thanks.

Cheers,

Roberto

• Like 1