Simon Anderson

Magneto gear cover , model 20

Hello 

I am looking for info/pictures on the magneto gear cover and how it is sealed around the magneto shaft.

i do have a cover but it has one semi circle cut out for mounting, so obviously it leaks a lot of oil. 

Thank you 

Edited by Simon Anderson
Adjustment (see edit history)

I don't believe that it's suppose to have as big a cutout as the one that you're picturing.  I'll go look at mine, for some reason I thought it had a solid back and just the hole for the magneto shaft, and the gear was actually installed INSIDE the housing as it was all slipped on the shaft.

I could be wrong, will go look....

Thanks, yes I believe it has been cut out for easy removal/ installation. Which intern it leaks quite a lit of oil from this point.

Yes, I think the back should be solid.  I found I was getting a lot of oil leaking from there until I started filling the crank case to what I now think is the correct level.  ie I was overfilling the crankcase.

Simon - does your car leak oil where the crankshaft comes out of the front of the engine where the flywheel is?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Unless someone has made some type of modern seal conversion to their 20, they ALL leak oil from the front of the crankshaft.  So much so, that the factory started installing a guard over flywheel so that the inside of the hood would stay dry.  For years, I didn't have this guard, and had a nice trail of oil inside my hood.

There are two petcocks at the bottom of the engine, each has a standpipe (I want to say 1-1/4 inch tall, but not sure).  That is what determines amount of oil in crankcase, drain until it doesn't drain any more.

Thank you guys, I will make a piece to weld into the the guard and talk to my bearing guy about a floating seal which is mounted solid on the outside but has a slight amount of movement for the inner to keep square the the maggy shaft.

i have placed a seal into the front of the engine which was a good move, as I no long leave a nice pool of oil on the ground when stoped.

D5DC71C0-2746-4F9B-96DA-8E632029E977.jpeg

ACC6F2FF-0119-4703-B9FC-56754F3C2DC7.jpeg

Thanks for the photos Simon, that's given me some ideas.  I have glued an oil seal outside the block and machined a small section of the flywheel away so that if fits with over the seal with some clearance as it spins.  This seems to be working at the moment.

Well I welded in a piece and then remade the hole and made a new fet seal, test run tomorrow and finger cross a lot less oil everywhere.

40062A88-1E38-41A5-99AB-60F018659AA2.jpeg

8ADE44E7-A4E2-4C64-9B40-938FD624CD16.jpeg

So far so good,

i have only been out for a short drive, but about 2 drops on the ground verses a pool of oil, so a good step forward 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Simon Anderson said:

So far so good,

i have only been out for a short drive, but about 2 drops on the ground verses a pool of oil, so a good step forward 

Only two drops of oil on the ground!  Oh my gosh, better make sure there's oil in the car!

I tried to wetproof my car, still need about half a bag of kitty litter anywhere it's parked over a day!

Well done!

Now that i have put a seal on the front at the flywheel and magneto drive, i do believe i have a bit more oil coming out of the breathers, either way its a lot better.

I have backed off the drip rate slightly also as i am not losing it every where.

I have breather cap for the two pipes, but even rebuilt engine had oil coming out of pipes.

Crude as it might be, I stuffed a little Scotch-bride down each hole.  Pipes can still breathe, but oil is captured and drips back to engine....

• Like 1