Need Information on Marmon Wire Wheel Hubcap

TexRiv_63

I'm looking for help identifying this hubcap and its usage. It is 5" in diameter, 2 3/16" total height, and the threaded part is 2 5/8" diameter. It's very heavy cast brass or bronze, nickel plated. I need to know what type and brand of wire wheels this was used on, also which Marmon models and the years they were made, any help will be appreciated.

DSCF4850.JPG

DSCF4851.JPG

DSCF4852.JPG

Those big ones would come from the big side valve eight cylinder, which used an engine much like the big Lycoming in the 8-115 and similar eights.  The small 3litre OHV "Little "Marmon Eight used a much smaller version.  In 1962 a small group of fellow students in second year Agricultural Science had a Marmon 78 sedan during our second year, which was spent at an agricultural college about 120 miles north of Melbourne.  Unregistered, it was good enough for some discreet night trips into the nearest town for a dance . The attraction was a large number of nurses and nursing students.  After the end of the year the Marmon was still at Dookie College;  and I was "volunteered"  by one of the owners to tow the Marmon back to Melbourne with my 1927 314 Cadillac., wit0h a rigid A-frame towing bar between the two cars.  Approaching the outskirts of Melbourne on the Sunday afternoon in fairly heavy traffic on the 2 way, 2 lane main interstate highway,  the whole arrangement without warning started to perform like a centipede with the scrub itch.  The left front wheel of the Marmon and taken a short track into the paddock. it seemed out of control for eternity:  it is remarkable how your perceptions and reactions seem to accelerate when you think you are moving in slow motion.  I managed to stop by a swift  U-turn, still towing the Marmon but facing back the way we had come: but without damage or interference with other motorists.  I retrieved the wheel and tightened it back on, and checked the other three wheels were not loose.  During a lull in the traffic I did an opposite U-turn, and towed John Robinson and his Marmon to where he lived near Melbourne University.   Nobody stopped to help nor berate us; so I assumed that Melbourne people were accustomed to seeing such motor antics.    I have always been a bit skeptical of those Dayton wire wheels without positive locking:  But when you consider the material differential  between the steel outer taper of the hub centre, and the bronze matching taper of the wheel nut, it was probably safe, smart engineering.  Unlike metals in tight contact will grip,  whereas steel/steel will fret and loosen.   After all, those big Auburns with Dayton wire wheels raced effectively and safely in the late 1920s.

• 2 weeks later...