89 Reatta rough idle

Spazzaroth

So my 1989 Reatta has a rough idle. I know there's been lots of posts about this but I'm going to ask the question again.

I recently replaced the alternator and the battery in my car and when I did my car started to die when stopped at stop lights. It takes about 5 to 10 seconds after I stop at the light for the idle to dip and the engine to die.

It had a rough idle before but it would only dip down to about 500 RPM and wouldn't die.  now if I'm stopped at a stoplight for 10 seconds and I don't shift into neutral the car will die. 

I recently replaced all three relays, this didn't change anything.   if I shift the car into neutral the idle will still vary from about 900 to 500 RPM but it won't die.

I checked the TPI and everything looks good on that.  just wondering if any of you experts out there had any suggestions on what else to check.

Edited by Spazzaroth (see edit history)

Did you also clean the idle control valve as well as the orifice it fits into? Get an old toothbrush and clean the "spring" part of the idle control valve with carb cleaner. Then spray the carb cleaner into the orifice and clean that out as well also using a toothbrush. You will be surprised at how much gunk is in there. 

32 minutes ago, Spazzaroth said:

it actually hovers around 900 and then will dip down quickly to 500 or so and then back up.

Don't know if this is a solution to your problem, but I actually had this condition on my former '92 Riviera.  I replaced the O2 sensor and all was back to normal.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 10:24 AM, DShip said:

Don't know if this is a solution to your problem, but I actually had this condition on my former '92 Riviera.  I replaced the O2 sensor and all was back to normal.

I replace the O2 sensor. The car runs beautifully now. Thank you so much brother.

Ok so after running it awhile again I notice that when the car warms up the idle will still dip down.  It seems like it's not dieing any more, which is a step in the right direction.  Going to check the idle control when it's warm.  I think last time I checked it it was cold....