Sign in to follow this  
Dave Fields

Packard 645 and 1104 oil change question

To drain the oil, I removed 6 screws or nuts and and then dropped a large plate, about 3" in diameter. I had expected to find a screen there, but there appears to be perhaps the bottom of the oil pump? Is there anything there to clean, or do I simply replace the plate and gasket and tighten it and add oil? I am using 30 weight non detergent with zinc additive. Correct? The 1104 has a by bass oil filter, but we are not aware of any recent engine work on either car.

Regarding the 1934 Super Eight, when changing the oil you'd use the crankcase oil drain plug, what you removed was the access cover to clean the oil pump inlet screen which apparently is missing.  The drain plug is adjacent to the cover you removed.  The oil filter on 1934 Super Eight originally was FULL FLOW, not bypass.  Look at an engine lubrication diagram (in the 1934 Service Letters), or just look at the diameter of the oil lines.  If someone inserted a bypass filter in it's place, you risk restricting the oil feed to the engine internals!!!  If you can't buy the correct full flow filter (Puralotor L-6, R&A Engineering makes a good one), then running without a filter would be a far better option.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Yes that is the oil filter number, which I assumed was a bypass filter. There was no screen. Is this available from a supplier or is it easily made? Both Packards were missing the screen. As they came from long term ownership in Mexico, I guess it is not surprising. The 1104 oil pan has had a lot of welding done on it. I would then be inclined to put a detergent oil in the 1104. The filter was clean- no gunk, and the bottom of the oil pump was clean. The oil removed was not sludgy or unusually dirty. Neither car has run in years, perhaps decades. Thank you!

I'm not aware that the oil pump inlet screens have ever been in reproduction, but you might give the two major Packard suppliers a call, or just look for a complete used pump.  Yes for certain I'd go with a detergent oil, but before that I'd drop the oil pan and clean it.   In my '34 which sees it's use in the Northeast and is not driven in cooler weather, I use a premium single viscosity SAE 30 detergent oil, for example CAM2, Formula Shell, and others.  I've put about 45,000 happy miles on it over the past 50+ years with that type of oil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1