5-Spd Conversion, in the Home Stretch Now

Guest Greg Ross

Guest Greg Ross

Received yesterday from Jim Finn an '89 front Sub-frame that will be used to build up the exchange Series I 3800 and Getrag standard Transmission package.

Took some detours to get to this point, had the "Stock" camshaft out to Crame Cams for a re-grind and I elected to bit-the-bullet and get the Flywheel and Engine neutral balanced. The engine reassembly should be finished next week. Hurricanes here in South Loosiana have been playing havoc with getting anything done.

I'm doing the whole new Sub-frame package so all the mounting modifications for the Motor and Transmission can be done out on the floor rather then struggling with 750 pounds in the engine compartment. Gives easy access as well for putting in Urethane Sway bar Bushings, refreshing sub-frame isolator mounts etc, etc. and of course renewing the "suspect" sub-frame mounting bolts.

The caution that Barney E posted about the rear lower control arm mounting points also helped with the descision. From what I can see, the factory welding job on these brackets leaves quite a bit to be desired. Poor weld profile, and not a lot of it! In serviceablilty terms, weld fatigue and stress risers associated with poorly profiled wels can often be as bad or worse then corrosion effects. Or, what appears to be the result of rust/ rotting is a consequence of fatigue cracking of welds. They go hand-in-hand.(I'm in that Business)

I'm hopefully going to have the conversion finished sometime in early November (this Year) wink.gif

I'm curious as to the neutral balance? Are you removing the balance shaft? According to the Buick V6 history archives, the balance shaft engines are 50% bob weight balanced on the crank. I am no expert on this subject and would like to know what this means.