1936 Maharaja Duesenberg Replica

1936 MAHARAJA DUESENBERG REPLICA

After 18 years of work our one of a kind 88% scale fiberglass and steel replica of the famed Maharaja Duesenberg for sale. 

The last Duesenberg ever made before A-C-D went out of business in 1936 was a spectacular roadster built on chassis number 2,614 for Maharaja Yeshwant Rao Holkar (1908-1961) of Indores India. With a one off body made in Croydon, England by coachbuilders Gurney Nutting, gifted designer young John  Batchley deserves credit for the sweeping lines. Many feel it is the best looking Duesenberg ever made. Reportedly when it came out of the jungle to be shipped to the USA in 1956, it was cradled in a sling between four elephants!

I saw the car at the Louis Vuitton event in New York City in 1999. I was overwhelmed. It is owned by retired Air Force General William Lyons in Orange County, CA. I was allowed to photograph the car in his marble floor “garage” (see photo). If you haven’t heard, Gary Cooper’s similar 1935 SSJ roadster just sold at the Gooding auction at Pebble Beach in Sept. for 22 million.

I had my custom ’39 Lincoln on display at the same Louis Vuitton event and Iiterally drooled all over the Maharaja Doozie for three days. Studying the flowing lines I realized the body was very similar to the 1939 Zephyr fiberglass Deco Rides convertible body I produce. I started the eighteen year task of creating an 88% scale mini-Maharaja using the fiberglass Zephyr convertible body as a basis. 

I acquired a steel replica J model Duesenberg grille shell and front fenders built by Marcel Delay of California. I had a steel hood and side panels made, as well as a brass windshield frame. Ed Flanagan did a masterful job of transforming the Zephyr body to copy the Maharaja.

Junior Kelly and the team at Bad Donkey Hot Rods of Hanover, PA   completed the project. Chrome by Marty Baker of NEL Metal Restoration in Philadelphia. Custom fitted luggage by Brian Matthews of Carlisle, PA. Trim & Top by Mike Sholley.  
       The original car had a massive 153.5 inch wheelbase while our smaller replica has a 135 inch wheelbase to keep the body proportions correct. The car has a new 502 cu. in. big block Chevy and automatic transmission, The idea is to have an affordable mini-Maharaja you could drive and enjoy.  
       It sits on a rectangular steel Fat Man Fabrications chassis with 9-inch Ford rear with an independent front suspension. It has “snap-shut” power windows, power disc brakes, power steering, air conditioning and a defroster. It has a removable top, orange leather interior and custom-fitted luggage. 

And respectfully yes, I know it's not a genuine AACA type car, it's a replica. I can't afford the real thing so I did the best I could. Titled as a 1936 Ford.

TERRY COOK 

201 400 5528

$279,000

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_2110.jpg

MAJtrunk.jpg

MAJpicnic.jpg

thumbnail-1.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

tail.jpg

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Nice job Terry.

Nice job Terry.

Does the color combination match the Maharaja car?

Greg 

Does the color combination match the Maharaja car?Greg

it matches as close as possible using non-candy or pearl paints. I didn't have access to the original car when it came time to select paint so I just looked at a color chart, looked at photos I had  and said "use this one". Unfortunately phots lie sometimes not always showing colors as they are in sunlight.. 

By virtue of the lack of a rumble seat in my car, different design hood side panels and the fact my car is only 88% scale to keep hood, etc proportions looking correct, as dictated by dimensions of my Zephyr body which was smaller than the real car. Thus my car is not a faithful 100% repica, forgetting the engine of course. 

I would have liked to have the pinstriping be a little wider, but I was not there to tell striper exactly what I wanted when he strriped the car folowing pix I had of the originhal.  , 

Terry 

Nice job Terry.

Does the color combination match the Maharaja car?

Greg 

it matches as close as possible using non-candy or pearl paints. I didn't have access to the original car when it came time to select paint so I just looked at a color chart, looked at photos I had  and said "use this one". Unfortunately phots lie sometimes not always showing colors as they are in sunlight.. 

By virtue of the lack of a rumble seat in my car, different design hood side panels and the fact my car is only 88% scale to keep hood, etc proportions looking correct, as dictated by dimensions of my Zephyr body which was smaller than the real car. Thus my car is not a faithful 100% repica, forgetting the engine of course. 

I would have liked to have the pinstriping be a little wider, but I was not there to tell striper exactly what I wanted when he strriped the car folowing pix I had of the originhal.  , 

Terry 

That's a fantastic looking piece of mobile art! It's very far out of my price league, but if I could afford it it would be mine!!  That's the only pre-war replica I've seen that makes me want it. The late model drivetrain and accessories don't hurt it, but increase the appeal. I know most purists scoff at such fluff as air conditioning that works, and modern 500 c.i. power, but on this beast, awesome!!

What an awesome work of art!   Almost 20 years ago I parked next to a L-29 Cord in those colors

at the Heritage Village "Picnic in the Park.  Until now, it was my favorite car.    Thanks for sharing.

You can see part of the L-29 in this picture.@HPSHOW.thumb.jpg.f7f748b8f114d157cebfc1437680c251.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added photo (see edit history)

Thank you for the compliments. The real car took my breath away when i saw it for the first time at Louis Vuitton 1999 in Manhattan (a fabulous event that sadly no longer exists).. The other day when my pal drove my car out from the garage and I saw it drive by my heart went thump thump thump. God Bless John Batchley of A F McNiel design firm that did work for Gurney Nutting back in the mid 1930's.

• Like 1

Titling this as a 1936 Ford hurts all of us in the hobby and will only help to make title laws more impossible.  Many states have provisions to title a car such as this with a state issued VIN.  Please advertise this car as it is titled, a 1936 Ford.  BTW, it is a really nice looking Ford.  

6 hours ago, 61polara said:

Titling this as a 1936 Ford hurts all of us in the hobby and will only help to make title laws more impossible.  Many states have provisions to title a car such as this with a state issued VIN.  Please advertise this car as it is titled, a 1936 Ford.  BTW, it is a really nice looking Ford.  

You're probably right. The car is clearly advertised as a replica, not a real Duesenberg. Is it possible to change the text at the top of this column as I'll gladly try to insert the 1936 Ford info. 

6 hours ago, 61polara said: