Title help

shainben

I recently was gifted a 54 Chevy Bel Air from my dad. Either he lost the title or never received after purchasing it in 2008. I am trying to re title the vehicle but it is proving to be more challenging than I anticipated. Does any one out there have a go to place to get this done or know of any tricks of the trade? The story goes, that it was purchased with loan in Kansas from individual in Michigan. It was then delivered to my dad in Minnesota where he received tags for the car (they are currently on the car) but no title. I don't know even where to begin. I would appreciate any help you might be able to give me. Thanks.

Your Dad would have had to show proof of ownership to get tags. Start with the BMV and see if they can help. Might be as simple as a lost title. If he is still alive he will have to get the title. If he has passed the estate will have to get the title then pass it to you.

There are lost title companies in each state. They are the experts who can help you. Check Yelp and other references to find a good person. Then, tell him/her your story. They should give you a good answer and a precise $$ estimate.

Seek a replacement title via Minnesota as your dad needed title of some kind to get license plates (your dad will have to fill out the form to request duplicate or you can fill out if he is alive and you have the proper DMV Power of Attorney form) - And, if your dad is still alive he can then transfer to you.  That "loan" part may be an issue though as he may only had a certificate of title (ie only enough title to get plates and not transfer ownership.    If your dad is now deceased then you may be able to go back to the Probate Court  who administered estate (if the gift came via an estate) and inquire (the attorney the estate  should have transferred to you with good title - there is usually a probate process for this even if the estate is closed - you can generally walk into the Court and inquire).  Also, most states have a process via their lower or Common Pleas Court system for clearing up flawed or non-existant titles - it usually costs a couple hundred dollars and plenty of time (may take a main DMV office to advise on process too).