LUG NUTS FOR RALLY WHEEL

jframe

I have a set of mid to late Sixties Rally wheels on my 65. Car seems to have a potpourri of different lug nuts. Looking on the Oreilly website, there is only about a MILLION different choices in 1/2-20 sizes. Will someone PLEASE tell me the right style of chrome lug nut for this wheel on this car? So many of the ones on it now have those chrome caps, which almost always bust loose off the nut, and make it a real @#$%^ to get on and off. If someone has a correct Dorman number or something, it sure would be helpful.

The ones from CARS claim to be "chrome capped". Be the same boat I am in now. The ones from Buick Centers may be a good alternative. Was hoping to find something local, but too many choices, lol

The original lut nuts were an odd size with a chrome plated cover that went over them to make them a true SAE size.  If I were you, and this is what I did do, is get a set of solid ones, no cover.  The covers will split, fall off, then you don't have proper sized lug wrench to get them off.  You want an acorn nut 1/2-20 right hand thread with a 60 degree conical seat.  I think that I bought the Gorilla brand.  Most of the time if you buy a set, you get 16 nuts and 4 locking nuts.  The locking part is up to you.  Summit, JEGS, etc. all have them.  You might even be able to find them on Amazon or Walmart's equivalent.  Could be in your local NAPA, O'Reilly, Advance, or Autozone.

These are the ones that I bought but not from this place.

https://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/GOR41188-20.htm

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, jframe said:

The ones from CARS claim to be "chrome capped". Be the same boat I am in now. The ones from Buick Centers may be a good alternative. Was hoping to find something local, but too many choices, lol

They have, or at least previously had, both types...buy the solids,

Tom

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_341_374&products_id=7035

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The original lut nuts were an odd size with a chrome plated cover that went over them to make them a true SAE size.  If I were you, and this is what I did do, is get a set of solid ones, no cover.  The covers will split, fall off, then you don't have proper sized lug wrench to get them off.  You want an acorn nut 1/2-20 right hand thread with a 60 degree conical seat.  I think that I bought the Gorilla brand.  Most of the time if you buy a set, you get 16 nuts and 4 locking nuts.  The locking part is up to you.  Summit, JEGS, etc. all have them.  You might even be able to find them on Amazon or Walmart's equivalent.  Could be in your local NAPA, O'Reilly, Advance, or Autozone.

These are the ones that I bought but not from this place.

https://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/GOR41188-20.htm

Ed,

The original `65 lug nuts were solid, not capped,

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ed,

The original `65 lug nuts were solid, not capped,

Tom

Buick regressed from 1965 to 1973.  My (ex)wife and I bought a new Century Luxus in 1973 and the lugs for those wheels were capped.  After the first one broke, I went out and bought 20 solid ones and replaced them all.

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

They have, or at least previously had, both types...buy the solids,

Tom

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_341_374&products_id=7035

Not so certain that they will fit a 1963 although they claim that as that was the last year with half RH and half LH...

just a comment although not relevant for this 65.

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)