50Traveler

Headrest removal for 1984 Reliant?

On my everyday driver I need to remove the headrest so that I can carry a long item over the front seat of my 1984 Reliant wagon.  I have had suggestions to shove hacksaw blades along the stem but I have tried this both front and back without success.  I did chew up the plastic escutcheon a bit and hate the I marred something along the way.

Any suggestions?  I can't find anything in the shop manual either.

Thank you,k

Justin

No direct information but a google search shows several owners manuals for sale or downloadable. Not expensive for paper manuals.

I have the shop and owners manuals.  Still can't find what I am looking for.  The hunt continues

If there is no release pin or latch at the base of the headrest, they will probably pull straight up with a quick, hard jerk/pull.

I wish.  I have pushed and pulled, tugged and yanked, shoved hacksaw blades along the shaft front and back, worked my arm up from the bottom behind the upholstery, and can't make any headway.  There is something on the shaft but I can't see it or feel around it enough to figure out how to make it release.

Posted (edited)

post it here:

www.chryslerkcar.com

www.allpar.com

www.turbododge.com

www.turbo-mopar.com

post it in all 4 and you will get an answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by marty14 (see edit history)