Sign in to follow this  
kfle

What class would this 1925 car be in at an AACA event?

3 minutes ago, Roger Frazee said:

Beautiful car, kfle, and it sounds like the car is in good hands.  This car is a living piece of history as it sits.  I would encourage you to enter it as an HPOF vehicle and enjoy being a part of the Auburn meet.  The HPOF area is arguably the most interesting section of the show field.

Thanks Roger!  Isnt the Auburn meet this year a Grand National which I believe means only previous winners can attend?  For some reason I thought that a first timer could not enter a car unless the HPOF class is different.

Kevin

5 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Even as a restorer I have to encourage you not to restore your Cole. I always caution people though. The phrase "it's only original once" is true but that "once" is the day it left the factory. After that day it may have significant original features but they have deteriorated to a greater or lesser degree from "original". At best you can maintain and preserve the car in the state of deterioration it was in when you received the car. Again, please do not do any major restoration to your Cole.

Agreed and absolutely no plans to.  My only goal is to preserve it and do maintenance to keep it running.

Keith, absolutely correct that your car must be a senior to be at a Grand National.  In addition, HPOF or DPC cars are not accepted at a GN.

Kevin;  Lovely Cole.  I plan to attend the vintage tour and if this is your first it promises to be a good time.  Kingston, On has gently rolling terrain, some long grades up and down so your brakes should be in the best working order and the engine running cool and fine.  Expect to drive over five hundred miles during the five day meet, you will not need lawn chairs.  Generally we leave soon after breakfast and return to the hotel in time for refreshments before the evening meal with interesting places to see during the day.  Last tour had fifty cars ranging from 1913 to model A's, many Chryslers, RR, Hupmobile, etc.  A tour has so much to do, meet like minded folks, cars break down and are often repaired on the side of the road or overnight, catch a ride in a luxury car or a model T.  And Ontario roads are in much better condition than you will find at home in Michigan.

Hope you can make it, Gary

17 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Made me sick when I heard about it. I got a great deal of personal satisfaction however a few years later when that person tried to sell the car. The car he had paid $20,000 for, and then the $50K on restoration, he could not get a buyer for at $35,000.

Still happens all the time - very unfortunate too as a lot of things just need a little car and maintenance, as well as staying original to be the pattern for cars not as fortunate.

Kevin, 

Great motorcar. Not a car, not a 20 HP Tin Lizzie, not a GM from the Sears of Motordom, not a Dodge. Good as those were...this one has a lot more style and distinction, plus the panache of low-volume and high price. Many of the V-8s sold for $2,750-$4,450 during the company's 18 production years. In the Twenties, a Cole was the Indianapolis Pace Car(1924). Like an Elcar or a DuPont, not an everyman's car & not something everyone's heard of. Here are a couple of richly-illustrated ads...something we've lost along the way on anything cheaper than a Bentley these days:

image.jpeg.83c7ae7d5f23a7aaeba829a01cab5642.jpeg     Image result for Cole Sportcoupe

I think the AACA class 19a would be a good class for your Cole 8 at a meet (if you were not in HPOF).  Appropriate for vehicles recognized by the CCCA as Full Classics, 1915-1931. The CCCA's listing says about Cole All 1916-1925, 8-cylinder are Classics. Just because you don't want to have a Pebble-Beach-level resto done doesn't mean you can't enter it in that class.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

19 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Kevin;  Lovely Cole.  I plan to attend the vintage tour and if this is your first it promises to be a good time.  Kingston, On has gently rolling terrain, some long grades up and down so your brakes should be in the best working order and the engine running cool and fine.  Expect to drive over five hundred miles during the five day meet, you will not need lawn chairs.  Generally we leave soon after breakfast and return to the hotel in time for refreshments before the evening meal with interesting places to see during the day.  Last tour had fifty cars ranging from 1913 to model A's, many Chryslers, RR, Hupmobile, etc.  A tour has so much to do, meet like minded folks, cars break down and are often repaired on the side of the road or overnight, catch a ride in a luxury car or a model T.  And Ontario roads are in much better condition than you will find at home in Michigan.

Hope you can make it, Gary

Gary - It doesn't take much to have better roads than metro Detroit!  This sounds like a good and interesting tour.  Is there a link to information about the event?

Kevin

12 hours ago, jeff_a said:

Kevin, 

Great motorcar. Not a car, not a 20 HP Tin Lizzie, not a GM from the Sears of Motordom, not a Dodge. Good as those were...this one has a lot more style and distinction, plus the panache of low-volume and high price. Many of the V-8s sold for $2,750-$4,450 during the company's 18 production years. In the Twenties, a Cole was the Indianapolis Pace Car(1924). Like an Elcar or a DuPont, not an everyman's car & not something everyone's heard of. Here are a couple of richly-illustrated ads...something we've lost along the way on anything cheaper than a Bentley these days:

image.jpeg.83c7ae7d5f23a7aaeba829a01cab5642.jpeg     Image result for Cole Sportcoupe

I think the AACA class 19a would be a good class for your Cole 8 at a meet (if you were not in HPOF).  Appropriate for vehicles recognized by the CCCA as Full Classics, 1915-1931. The CCCA's listing says about Cole All 1916-1925, 8-cylinder are Classics. Just because you don't want to have a Pebble-Beach-level resto done doesn't mean you can't enter it in that class.

Jeff,

Thanks and agree with you.  The Cole ads were wonderful and the dealer prestige catalogs were even better.  Here is the ad for this particular car that I have.  ad.thumb.jpg.a03d25e3c48d8e0f334d1c4cfb5bcea1.jpg

I was aware that the Cole is a CCCA full classic and in fact this very 1925 Cole was the specific car that was submitted to the CCCA board in 2011.  Based on that process the board voted to designate this car as a Full Classic.  A few years later the CCCA opened up entry down to 1916 so all Cole V8's back to that date were designated full classics.  I will be showing this car at the Michigan CCCA Grand Classic event on June 1st and 2nd of this year.  

Kevin

Kfle, I think by now the consensus is to leave your car alone and simply enjoy the heck out of it. You have a rare and beautiful car that most of us would love to own. I personally think most people are shying away from full blown, multi dollar restorations. Whenever I enter a car show with ether of my cars, I put a small card right under the windshield, event, card that states "Please do not judge". Too much nit picking and too much jealousy when awards are given out. 

• Like 1

Show the auto in the HPOF class, drive it and have fun. 

Beautiful automobile

Lash

• Like 1

Kevin;  For the AACA Vintage Tour please contact Joe at Joe from Canada on page 1 of this thread, he is the host this summer.  Hotel info is available now for reservations, haven't seen registration forms yet and you need to contact the office in Hershey to tell them you are going because it is a national event.

Regards, Gary