Another unknown car to ID

gwells

41 Su 8,

Not so sure I agree on the Model 43. Look at the major differences in the cowl and base of windshield, as well as the splash aprons. Also fenders differ.

The unknown car has a bulb horn and the car pictured has an electric horn.

Since the wheels and hubcaps match, I think Oakland is correct, but I believe it's a different model.

1914 Okland.jpg

3 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

We also should not rule out the possibility  this is a restyle of an older chassis. Or perhaps a custom body . The styling is remarkably box like except the windshield base. Definitely could be a one-off.

Greg in Canada

Note even the cowl is different. The Oakland cowl has near vertical sides, the mystery cowl curves out at the top.

The valance area - between the body and running board is also quite different.

The hubs are different as well. I can't find a good photo of a six cylinder Oakland. The four cylinder may well have had different hubs to the six. The green four cylinder car has 8 hub bolts, the mystery car has six.

I found this one on ebay. The photo is captioned on the back "1913 Oakland Model 42". The Model 42 was a four cylinder car on a 116" wheelbase. This car is clearly bigger than that. I reckon it is the big 6-60 on the 130" wheelbase.

The car here also has 8 bolt hubs.

Maybe someone who is registered with ebay can comment on there, and tell them it is not a Model 42?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-Car-Photos-1913-Oakland-Model-42-Automobile-781002-/362025341908?hash=item544a6453d4

1913 Oakland..jpg

On 2/19/2019 at 9:31 PM, AHa said:

I think 1915 Locomobiles used the octagon headlites.

Looks like you called it. I was looking at Locomobiles, but could not find those cowl lamps, but a lot of the features match about a 1914 Locomobile. Similar splash aprons and wheels and hubcaps.

1914 Locomobile.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, nzcarnerd said:

This car is clearly bigger than that.

I think it is a fairly small car. Look at the splash apron. It is far shorter than the tourer keiser31 shows: you can see the start of the rear mudguard rising from the running board. I think it is an early roadster size. Tall maybe, but not long.

• Like 1

The image in my OP came from the Model A section at the Ford Barn forum and a poster there believes he had ID'd the car.

"The car in the first photo is a 1913 Locomobile, model 38, little six, roadster. Sold new for $4300. 6 cylinder, 43.8 hp, 128" wheel base. This same car is pictured on page 856 of the second edition of Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942."

The photo he references is at the top left on page 894 of my 3rd edition Standard Catalog and is of a quality not worth reproducing here. A better image was found in the Aug 28, 1912 The Horseless Age.

Screen Shot 2019-02-23 at 1.19.27 PM.png

While there are some differences between this car and the unknown car (base of windshield splash aprons), I think he's probably correct. It's certainly the closest match yet and has that distinctive curve in the cowl near the inset sidelamp. Wheels and fenders seem also to match up.

I suspect one of these images is flipped, as to my eye the first car seems to be LHD and this one is RHD based on the external brake lever..