Interchangeability of Brake Cylinders

ezdusit

I was contacted today by Dave Huhn (Faithful LZOC Member #282!) concerning brake cylinders for one of his 1941 Lincolns.  Can anyone provide information on the availability of wheel cylinders and other brake components (e.g., NAPA part numbers, or similar source) or the interchangeability, if any, between the Lincoln HV-12 chassis and any other FoMoCo products -- Ford, Mercury, or commercial vehicles.  Any information that would help Dave source his brake parts will be much appreciated.  Please post any helpful information on this thread for future reference.  If you want to also share information with Dave, please email him at bigredanddave@hotmail.com.  Thanks in advance for any help.

I need Wheel cylinder numbers for a 1941 Continental..Are there Right And Left Side Numbers as Well as Front and Rear ?? Someone had given Numbers Before But My NAPA Dealer says those numbers are "No Good" !! Any Help Would be Appreciated ..CH

Tom_Overfield

•  
  • Tom_Overfield
  • Members
  • 754 posts

There are right and left side numbers ian, and the front and rears are different. I have boxes out in the garage from mine and they came from NAPA, I'll get them for you later today.

Tom

Red Bug Guy

•  
  • Red Bug Guy
  • Members
  • 1 post

ian 418

I have a 1946 Wagner catalog that lists the Lincoln under Ford. It says all 1941 Passenger cars use a Wagner FD4500 for the Left Front, Wagner FD4501 for the right front, FD4506 for the left rear, and FD4507 for the right rear. It also has a note it is a step bore cylinder with the large diameter forward. The price in 1942 was $2.20 each.

Hope this helps

ian418

•  
  • ian418
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Thanks Big Red For looking up those wheel cylinder Numbers.. I Pulled The Left rear Drum today ( it's the One that was leaking ) The Cylinder that was On that wheel Was

Marked {Wagner Lockheed BFD-2748}..So, I'm Not Sure What

Number Is Correct And Available...Someone had Posted The Wagner Numbers as F9336 & F9337 And Raybestos Numbers as

WC24954 & WC24955 ....I Ordered Two From Earle Brown today,

He said his Were Raybestos and I can Use The Same Number

cylinder on Both Sides..I'll Post the Number when i get Them

and If They Fit !!!Thanks again --CH

Tom_Overfield

•  
  • Tom_Overfield
  • Members
  • 754 posts

I just bought 4 new wheels cylinders from NAPA and the numbers are....

Front, wc24955

Rear 13387

They had the rears in stock and the fronts they had to order, but they arrived in two days. They fit fine.

Tom

imported_Phil Knapp

•  
  • imported_Phil Knapp
  • Members
  • 760 posts

If your wheel cylinders aren't rusted or pitted beyond some cleaning up with a brake cylinder hone, they're REALLY easy to rebuild. Most auto parts stores carry rebuild kits containing the rubber cups and end caps. All you need to know is the diameter of the bore, which is usually cast into the cylinder. If not, an inside micrometer can tell you what the diameter of the bore is. Rebuild kits are much cheaper than buying the whole cylinder. In fact, if the end caps are OK, some auto parts stores sell just the rubber cups - a LOT cheaper! Just be sure to get the correct size.

ian418

•  
  • ian418
  • Members
  • 48 posts

Tom ; What are the Letter Before The Numbers On those Wheel Cylinders .. are they marked with A Manufacturers Name ..??

Tom_Overfield

•  
  • Tom_Overfield
  • Members
  • 754 posts

Ian,,,one front cylinder I got from a vendor, it is a Wagner Cylinder and the number on the box is WC24955.

The one from NAPA only has the number 24954 on the box, no letters.

The rear cylinders are NAPA cylinders, 13387 and 13388, no letters on these boxes either. No brand name on any of the boxes, other than the Wagner cylinder. The NAPA boxes do say NAPA Brakes, but thats it.

I also bought rebuilding kits from NAPA, however once I got my cylinders apart, the were pitted far to bad to save. Good canidates for re-sleeving, but no way will they clean up with a hone.

Tom

40-41 connies

•  
  • 40-41 connies
  • Members
  • 215 posts

After owning a NAPA store for 23 years {now retired}, I notice the brake cylinder numbers. I had in my stock, the numbers you gave as these were the cheaper line of brake parts that NAPA sold. I also stocked the UNITED line of brake parts and the UNITED line was priced higher, however the product was excellent in quality. Nothing wrong with the lower cost to save money. Just a note on the different lines that NAPA sells.

Tom_Overfield

•  
  • Tom_Overfield
  • Members
  • 754 posts

40-41,

I was wondering about that, I did notice the NAPA boxes say "assembled in USA" No mention of where they were actually made. These were the only ones the NAPA store in my area had or could get so I was pretty much stuck unless I wanted to pay double the cost. If they hold fluid without leaks, I'll be happy.

Tom

40-41 connies

•  
  • 40-41 connies
  • Members
  • 215 posts

Tom, I hope you took the information the way I intended it. I just wanted all the NAPA buyers to know that NAPA almost always has two lines to sell. One line is to compete with the discounters and the top line that the mechanics most always wanted to buy. Belts- Napa line and then Gates, Brake parts, Napa line and United, Points, cond., etc Napa line and Echlin, Filters Wix made Napa GOld and Napa line.

Another bit of information is that the NAPA store computers most of the time never have older hard to get parts listed. The counter boy will more than likely tell you they do not have it. Most of the boys on the counters today do not even know how to look up the parts in the books. The parts books list all the parts the warehouse has available and older items such as fuel pumps, etc are listed in the books and not the computer.

Pete