Jump to content

1972 Buick Electra custom coupe


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

@Magic marouke  Gorgeous!!!  Love to see it in person sometime!  What is its history?  

 

 

I bought the 1 owner car in Denver in December 2017 . An elderly gentleman owned it from new and took pretty good care of it from what I can tell . Think he was a real estate agent and also used it to take clients out to view properties. His friend sold me the car on behalf of his widow and I assured them it was going to a good home . The windshield kept fogging up during the test drive and suspected a bad heater core so he knocked $500 off right there . Luckily we escaped any bad weather up there in Colorado ( I’m in SW Oklahoma) but almost got killed by a Swift trucker running us off the road . 

When I got the car home I went through a lot of service stuff like new plugs , filters , vacuum lines , belts etc. also replaced a leaking valve cover gasket and the heater core that cost a whopping $38 and took a little over 4 hours .its a semi daily driver as I have 2 other vehicles I use but love driving it . Fuel sender was replaced last summer and just some general tinkering . It was 100% all original including the un used spare tire in the trunk . The interior is absolutely immaculate and luxurious. 

Trying to keep it as original as possible but I am in the process of installing some gauges somewhere  discreetly It drives like an absolute dream , the smoothest ride I've ever had in any car . 

The paint isn’t show quality by any means but has done well in the 47 years . It was always garaged before I got it which I’m happy about. . 

Here are some pics of me picking it up 

 

 

2696A4FE-8657-4E92-BE77-54D3FF5DF9CC.jpeg

5C31F02B-71DE-40BC-BAD7-4A8743FC2262.jpeg

3D6E5613-5C83-4D29-B159-2FC7B91A4171.jpeg

B802C8C2-EAC2-4DC5-86FE-8807D50F23E6.jpeg

5BC386F1-BE24-48F4-97F1-86611ADBFA20.jpeg

FCAA7ECB-A7DA-4163-A39E-7CA796930430.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Magic marouke   Here is a link to our drive home, when we bought our 72 Electra Custom Limited, in 2014.  There is another thread with the trip out but I never posted any pictures of that half of the trip.  NE-Empire Express 2014 drive home.

 

Just to set the stage, the plan was for my friend Ed and I to drive to Bonanza Oregon where I would buy the car, in Ed's '67 Skylark Convertible.  Then we would head up to Portland Oregon for the Buick Club's National Meet. Meanwhile my wife flew out to Portland a few days after we left, for the meet.  Then after the meet we crisscrossed the upper half of the USA to take in as much as we could, which resulted in a superficial view of America's awesome west.  The Electra ran great all the way home!  And has been marvelous ever since! 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

wow , just wow ! cant believe you drove that whole way after just buying the car . the guy I bought mine from asked me if I was driving it back the 10 hour trip . although it may have made it ok I just couldn't risk driving a 47 year old car when I hadn't even looked at yet . it so happened that the bad heater core wouldn't have made it possible anyway . it took me a couple of days to go over everything good to make sure I could even drive to work in it but that's just me being very cautious . it did have a leak from the bottom of the coolant tank and that leaky valve cover gasket so

there was that also . really easy fixes but still glad I trailered it . if it was a good friend selling the car and assured me it ran great I probably would be not a stranger .  

  stunning 72 by the way . is it the champagne gold like mine? cant really tell in the pics .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:36 AM, kgreen said:

The only thing more fun that trailering a unique car home is driving it.  Enjoy!

 

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:44 AM, JZRIV said:

Welcome to the forum. Looks to be in stunning condition! That's the way to buy them! Congratulations.

 

thanks guys . im still enjoying it even after over a year of ownership . get a lot of comments at gas stations and thumbs up at traffic lights

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a great trip. Ours is Sierra Tan. And the vinyl top was replaced at some point with the correct material grain but wrong color.  But I like the combo. I thought it was the Campaign Gold like yours, which I always preferred but the colors have grown on me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

it took me almost half an hour to skim through that thread as im at work so didn't read all of it but got the gist . would love to do that one day if time and work permitted . my electra only had 40,000 miles when I got it so still plenty of miles left in her . so did you know the owner of yours or just chanced it and drove it all that way ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did know the fellow I bought it from, through the internet. He held the car for nearly six years till I could get out to get it. He used it weekly and it had 88k on it when I picked it up. The day I bought it was the first time we'd met in person. 

But Dan was very good to us.  Put new tires on the front and had the ac checked out. Took a check from us and refused to cash it till we got home. Told us everything that was an issue and it was just as he said. 

We have driven it to several other BCA National Meets since. We love everything about this car!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:30 AM, JohnD1956 said:

I did know the fellow I bought it from, through the internet. He held the car for nearly six years till I could get out to get it. He used it weekly and it had 88k on it when I picked it up. The day I bought it was the first time we'd met in person. 

But Dan was very good to us.  Put new tires on the front and had the ac checked out. Took a check from us and refused to cash it till we got home. Told us everything that was an issue and it was just as he said. 

We have driven it to several other BCA National Meets since. We love everything about this car!

 

that was a good purchase be the sound of it . a lot better than some of the meetings and dealings im sure we've all had when viewing and buying cars . I once traveled 7 hours to Arkansas to look at a 70 Nova I ended up buying .

 guy assured me it was a driver and ran good . got there and was obviously it hadn't been touched let alone ran in 6 months , some people .

im still impressed that you drove it all that way just after buying it .

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Magic marouke Are you a member, or have you thought about joining the BCA?  Their National Meet is in Mid West City, Oklahoma, this year.  If you were interested in the showmanship aspect, and the judging class, your car would fit into several classes for awards.  

 

First is the driven class, if you drive it 75%, or more, of the way to the National Meet from your home.

And then it looks like it would fit into either the archival class or the 400 point class. 

The Archival class is for cars that are essentially composed of their original parts, regardless of their condition.  The ones in better condition can get a higher level award known as the Archival Elite.  

The 400 point class is for cars that have been restored or are original and in tip top shape.  There are three levels to this award, Gold, Silver and Bronze based upon your final score. In the Buick Club, all cars start with 400 points regardless of the class.

So your car would fit into either of these classes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

@Magic marouke Are you a member, or have you thought about joining the BCA?  Their National Meet is in Mid West City, Oklahoma, this year.  If you were interested in the showmanship aspect, and the judging class, your car would fit into several classes for awards.  

 

First is the driven class, if you drive it 75%, or more, of the way to the National Meet from your home.

And then it looks like it would fit into either the archival class or the 400 point class. 

The Archival class is for cars that are essentially composed of their original parts, regardless of their condition.  The ones in better condition can get a higher level award known as the Archival Elite.  

The 400 point class is for cars that have been restored or are original and in tip top shape.  There are three levels to this award, Gold, Silver and Bronze based upon your final score. In the Buick Club, all cars start with 400 points regardless of the class.

So your car would fit into either of these classes.

 

 

iv'e heard about this show and may try to go but I seriously doubt i'll make it . I work in irrigation and it will be our busy season here . its all I can do to get a Saturday morning

off for a local show . I'll look in to the club to see what its about though .  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

By all means join the Buick Club, great organization with wonderful members. If there is a local Buick Club chapter near you join that as well.

You have an absolutely spectacular car, good luck with it and think of how much fun you are having when you go down the road in it and take other people for rides as well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Roadmaster75 said:

Nice installation and good choice for equipment....... I live about 15 miles from the AutoMeter factory.

Good folks...... they saved my bacon a couple of times when I was racing a nostalgia front engine dragster.

 

beautiful Electra

 

thanks mate .

yea their tech guys are really helpful when I had a problem . I like how they are made in USA as well . I wanted a tach that would blend in with the rest of the gauges so yes this style and size was

just right

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Magic marouke I have merged the Me and My Buick/"Gauges are in" thread you recently started with this one that has been running for some time. The Me and My Buick forum is more for long running threads about an individuals car vs new posts each time they may do something to the car.  Please just make new posts to this thread instead of starting new ones if the subject matter relates to this car. If you have technical questions etc then post in the Post War Forum. Let me know if you have questions or if I can help in any other way. 

Beautiful Electra by the way!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And by the way thanks for the info on the gauges. I will be looking at adding gauges to my 1979 Buick estate wagon soon and will look into these. I will also be adding a transmission temperature gauge. Do you have any installation pictures you might consider starting a tech thread in Post War with? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MrEarl said:

And by the way thanks for the info on the gauges. I will be looking at adding gauges to my 1979 Buick estate wagon soon and will look into these. I will also be adding a transmission temperature gauge. Do you have any installation pictures you might consider starting a tech thread in Post War with? 

 

 

I believe that people said the autometer gauges were really nice quality so went with theses . I went through Summit as they were quite a bit cheaper and are good service and after sales .

 the tech guys at autometer were really helpful also when I had a problem setting my tach up . I have a few pics i'll post but it was all pretty straight forward . I'm no mechanic so if I can do it anyone here shouldn't have a problem .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Magic marouke said:

I'm no mechanic so if I can do it anyone here shouldn't have a problem .

 

Wanna bet, hold my beer and watch this. 🤣

The only one I foresee questions about will be where to mount the tranny temp sending unit but will save that question for when I get into it.  

Look forward to seeing your other pics 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...