pontiac1953

Does your classic have a personalized license plate ?

The more current ones, except for the Fleetwood Brougham which isn’t at home at the moment 

1E530582-FAB3-4AB5-8BA4-5D0FD10B8617.jpeg

B4026DA2-428F-4F7F-85D7-9F9FD4F6DE19.jpeg

8233C039-4CAE-4F3E-9641-F8920EEFF1D0.jpeg

• Like 1

I've had this number since the early 1960s on a variety of vehicles.  When the Porsche turned 25 I went to the old plate pile and selected the appropriate ones for YOM use.

DSC_1015 (3).JPG

DSC_0798 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Here's mine.  Just need to finish the car so I can finally install it.

IMG_E5185.JPG

This was my plate, sold the car.

plate 002.JPG

Xander 014.jpg

• Like 2

I have California YOM plates. A set of original issue 1926 CA plates. It’s a b**ch to get the DMV to comprehend the program. Especially since there were no stickers in the 20s. 

31 minutes ago, DB26 said:

I have California YOM plates. A set of original issue 1926 CA plates. It’s a b**ch to get the DMV to comprehend the program. Especially since there were no stickers in the 20s. 

About 1916 through 1919 the year did not appear on California plates.  My 1918 Pierce has a Liberty Bell symbol to denote 1918.  DMV gets really confused about that... 

The problem with California YOM plates is that they charge you full ad valorem fees every year based on what you paid for the car--vs. a flat fee of $2 in lieu of the actual ad valorem if you have Horseless Carriage (HC) or Historic Vehicle (HV) plates. 

With the Nov 2017 increase in basic registration fees (which exclude ad valorem), I'm now paying a total of $136 this year for the Jeepster I registered for $9 in 1982.

We had this in AL, and also the same name in TN before we moved down to AL

. Now, here in Hawaii, they allow only six places, so no personalized plate for him yet

mini for konacarguy 002 - Copy.JPG

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There have been some controversies locally about personalized plates.  About 15-20 years ago a bloke was criticized for having "HUMMER" on his Hummer. This year there is a court case ongoing. A guy with the last name Grabher has had a personalized plate GRABHER for many years and the DMV received a complaint and has refused to re-issue it.  

I have a White1960 Buick Electra 4 door. When I bought the car it had "Moby" for the plates.  But when I went to renew they wanted 70 bucks a year to keep them  I chose to buy Antique plate at $ 65 for 5 years.

I did have "Moby" painted on the back end because I like the name and am looking for a set of 1960 Texas plates.

In this age of political correctness run amok ,it's getting harder to order personalized plates. The daughter of an older gentleman in northern Ontario bought him "OLFART' plates.A few years later MTO spotted it and refused to renew.I believe he won on appeal.

9 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

There have been some controversies locally about personalized plates.  About 15-20 years ago a bloke was criticized for having "HUMMER" on his Hummer. This year there is a court case ongoing. A guy with the last name Grabher has had a personalized plate GRABHER for many years and the DMV received a complaint and has refused to re-issue it.  

Where is here?

In Maine I did, but it wasn’t worth it in North Carolina. Here’s it on my Model T. I was lucky the DMV had a computer lookup for the open plate and I printed the image before going to order it, they first said I could not have both the dash and the space on the plate but since I got the computer to accept it they tried it and it worked... know it all DMV lady wasn’t happy after I spoke with her supervisor to get it done though.

As for the PC Police for plates, there was a FUBAR plate running around Maine that I believe was on a US Marine Veterans vehicle which also had both Korea and Vietnam striped bumper stickers as well, I don’t think anyone would have tried to pull them from him. I figure if the guy made it through both of those wars he deserved to get any plate he wanted! For those who don’t get it, it stands for “Fu**ed up beyond all recognition” and is very much in use if you live anywhere near a military base...

5B191BD6-6BEF-4677-B05E-E81A7EDB4A24.jpeg

For Larry S, "here" is Nova Scotia, Canada. Great picture of the T Mark, could have been taken 90 years ago (except for the 2 bags ?).

11 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

The daughter of an older gentleman in northern Ontario bought him "OLFART'

Could have got plates that said "OLFACTORY" and let the figure it out themselves.

• Like 1

I use XXXV on my 1935 Buick.   With Roman numerals no longer taught in schools, not only do they not understand Super Bowls, they ask me if this car is X rated?

XXX  XXXI, XXXI  XXXIII & XXXIV are still available.  

The Horseless Carriage tag in FL says Permanent across the bottom.  A club member got a ticket for no expiration sticker and the cop lost in court when the judge defined Permanent to be Permanent.  Apparently they don't teach English or common sense in the Police Academy.

• Like 1

No pix but I had 38 PLMTH on a car of that make and vintage - also had my wife's and my initials and birth years on our modern rides.  That was when there was just a nominal one-time fee for personalized plates.  Now there's a hefty annual surcharge so we just take whatever the DMV assigns.

Virginia has 3 options for old cars: Year of Manufacture (which I use), state-issued white on black Antique plate, and a hideous blue on yellow state-issued Antique plate that is the only one that can be personalized. The white-on-black and YOM work fine for me for their one-time permanent registration fee. The blue on yellow is also a one-time fee but if you get it personalized DMV charges you yearly for the privilege. No thanks. Plus did I mention the blue on yellow plate is damned ugly?

That said I've had a lot of fun with personalized plates over the years, making people guess what they mean. My favorite was on the 1976 Ninety Eight till it qualified for antique plates. I8JAPAN. Big long Godzilla-sized car. Wanted I8TOKYO but somebody had that on an early 50s Cadillac.

I have always been to cheap to pay extra every year for a vanity plate. Now that I moved to one plate state I had fake YOM plates made with what I wanted on them. They look good on the front of my old cars and cheap compared to real YOM plates.

1950-F1.jpg

1951-FOR.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

For Larry S, "here" is Nova Scotia, Canada. Great picture of the T Mark, could have been taken 90 years ago (except for the 2 bags ?).

And the rotary mower and plastic gas cans.😉

12 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Just wondering where and how far the political correct police have infiltrated society.  Thanks

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

I prefer leaving original plates on a car where possible, but my 1986 Oldsmobile 442 came from Hawaii and I had to get California plates.  So, I went with personalized plates.  W42 is the Oldsmobile option code for the 442 package.

DSCN3191.JPG

• Like 2