Fuel pump went bad after sitting for two months?

first64riv

Hello.  We've been between houses so the Riviera has been dormant for a couple of month.  Well, today I went to start her up and she would not fire.  I pulled the fuel line from the filter and cranked but no fuel.  The last time it took a while to prime was after I changed the carburetor and the fuel lines.  This seems to be taking longer but it's been so long I forget.

Could the fuel pump have died while sitting?  I drove the car to its current location so I know it has ran recently.

Thank you

Chris

Could be a possiably. Have to pull the inlet from the tank to fuel pump.See if you feel any suction from the fuel pump. If not there's your problem. If you do may have to trace your rubber lines see if any are broke even on top of the tank connecting to your fuel line. Could be sucking air.

Steve

If I know I am starting a long term dry fuel system I like to disconnect the fuel line at the carb and use a hand vacuum pump to draw fuel through the line from the tank to prime everything. If you draw fuel into a bleed bottle you can look for rust and contamination as well as smell stale gas.

I do it mostly to avoid cranking the starter more than necessary for priming. But it will keep you from flexing a dry diaphragm, too.

Bernie

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Did you buy a new or rebuilt pump.  An "NOS" pump might not have ethanol proof gaskets and the ethanol is eating through them.  Try rebuilding your pump with some new gaskets made from ethanol proof material.

This seems to be the factory fuel pump.  I can see AC stamped on it on both sides.  It is not rebuildable as far as I can tell.

I am dreading buying an aftermarket one based on the failures observed with newer ones.

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

If I know I am starting a long term dry fuel system I like to disconnect the fuel line at the carb and use a hand vacuum pump to draw fuel through the line from the tank to prime everything. If you draw fuel into a bleed bottle you can look for rust and contamination as well as smell stale gas.

I do it mostly to avoid cranking the starter more than necessary for priming. But it will keep you from flexing a dry diaphragm, too.

Bernie

I pulled the rubber line, before the pump, attached to the steel line.  Gas poured out the steel line.  This makes me pretty sure the pump has failed.

Edited by first64riv (see edit history)