Hearse

Possible new 64 Riviera owner here greetings everyone!

The fan should be close the the edge of the shroud and and about half of the angle of the blade should be inside the shroud, not the entire fan.  The close fit ensures that the fan actually pulls air through the radiator and just doesn't let the air cavitate inside the shroud.  I don't know if the four blade fan is large enough in diameter or has enough pitch to do this.  The best way to make sure would be to find a 5 blade fan and mount it on a thermal clutch. That's my thoughts, hopefully others will chime in.  

Ed

Cool 64…Congtats on the trade & welcome 

Ed, is right. Get a five blade fan in order to play nicely with the fan shroud. Don’t forget a STANDARD fan clutch too. DONT let them sell u on an HD fan clutch. U will HATE it! Haha. I learned the hard way. I did a little write-up on this matter in my 65 Riv build thread.

Here’s a link with the basics on fan clutches.

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2007-hayden-fan-clutch.pdf

oh…I have an aluminum 4 row radiator too & my fan shroud fit perfect. No mods. But someday I wanna sandwich those L shaped rubber pieces to either side of radiator that Ed mentioned earlier 

• Thanks 1

I might add that as long as you don't have an a/c condenser in front of your radiator, you might not need the shroud and five blade fan.  The non a/c cars ran fine with just a four blade fan and no shroud.  If you run a shroud and five blade fan and don't have a condenser in front of your radiator, you'll be cool as a cucumber.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

Cool 64…Congtats on the trade & welcome 

Ed, is right. Get a five blade fan in order to play nicely with the fan shroud. Don’t forget a STANDARD fan clutch too. DONT let them sell u on an HD fan clutch. U will HATE it! Haha. I learned the hard way. I did a little write-up on this matter in my 65 Riv build thread.

Here’s a link with the basics on fan clutches.

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2007-hayden-fan-clutch.pdf

oh…I have an aluminum 4 row radiator too & my fan shroud fit perfect. No mods. But someday I wanna sandwich those L shaped rubber pieces to either side of radiator that Ed mentioned earlier 

Thank you sir! Love the old Riv we're sold! I will check out that write up here in just a little bit I appreciate the heads up on that . 

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

I might add that as long as you don't have an a/c condenser in front of your radiator, you might not need the shroud and five blade fan.  The non a/c cars ran fine with just a four blade fan and no shroud.  If you run a shroud and five blade fan and don't have a condenser in front of your radiator, you'll be cool as a cucumber.

I guess I'll run the low drag current fan set up I have with the 4 blade fan and just put an 18 inch electric pusher up front to assist with idling duties. 

With that new aluminum radiator, I don't think that you'll have a problem anyway.  Try it first before going to the expense of installing the pusher.  Should you find that you need it, set up the pusher with a thermostatic switch so it only comes on in extreme situations.  

• Like 1

Just driving it home it got to 215 idling in traffic and its not even hot outside yet but once you got moving she went down to 180 ish.