Possible new 64 Riviera owner here greetings everyone!

Hearse

Which Pertronix do you use Rivnut? I'm just out in the garage looking the car over,  I'm seeing many original vacuum lines, still pliable, original buick windshield washer tank, original starter and asbestos wrapped starter wire, choke tubes etc...definitely looks like a nice original preserved 96k mile Riv. 

10 minutes ago, Hearse said:

Which Pertronix do you use Rivnut? I'm just out in the garage looking the car over,  I'm seeing many original vacuum lines, still pliable, original buick windshield washer tank, original starter and asbestos wrapped starter wire, choke tubes etc...definitely looks like a nice original preserved 96k mile Riv. 

I don't remember.  I called the company and took their recommendations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Try adding a direct wire from one of the screws from the sending unit to a dedicated ground.  The ground now just comes from the gas line to the frame through the clamps.

Ed,

How does the metal fuel line create a path to ground when both ends of the metal line have rubber hoses?

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hearse said:

Well that explains that then lol, it was reading just below a quarter tank when i ran out, no worries. I'm looking into some simple upgrades, pertronix electronic ignition. Ordered a new air and fuel filter for her today. Any thoughts on the Pertronix on these old Nailheads?

I installed the 1181LS in my 63. Works fine, no need to take out the distributor or change the coil.

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ed,

How does the metal fuel line create a path to ground when both ends of the metal line have rubber hoses?

Tom

I've often wondered that myself but that's what I'd been told.  Guess it's time to do some better research.  So, where does it get it's ground? Through the tank straps would be my next guess.  

35 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I've often wondered that myself but that's what I'd been told.  Guess it's time to do some better research.  So, where does it get it's ground? Through the tank straps would be my next guess.  

That would be my guess,

Tom

53 minutes ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

I installed the 1181LS in my 63. Works fine, no need to take out the distributor or change the coil.

Excellent! thank you for the feedback , guess that's on the maintenance list as of tonight. Did all of these Riv's come with a 4 blade fan? I need to get a fan shroud for her. I'd like to put at least a 5 blade fan on her as well. 

48 minutes ago, Hearse said:

Ugh..lol.  Well I guess I need to source a fan shroud and see about maybe putting a pusher fan on , I'm on the West Coast it gets hot out here. 

Do you have a/c in your car now?  The a/c cars also used a thermal clutch rather than direct drive fans.  The water pumps on the a/c cars have 5 impellars rather than 3.  Temperatures have not gotten that much hotter since your car was new.  If all of the OE components are in good shape, you don't need to do anything differently.  You dad and grandad drove them the way they came from the factory and didn't have any problems.  And back then, these cars were their daily drivers.  Frank Sinatra owned one and he lived in Las Vegas at the time.  CARS (oldbuickparts.com) has a repro fan shroud.

• Like 1

This is a non AC car at the moment. I'm about to head to that website to see what I can find thank you for the link I much appreciate it sir!! Ol blue eyes had a Riviera? really? I did not know that.  I believe I'm going to replace the timing chain and sprockets as well, I was told these nailheads has nylon gears which I find crazy. 

15 hours ago, Hearse said:

Hearse - I also run the Pertonix ignition.  The part number I use is 1181.  It was an easy install but you do need to pull the distributor.  Make sure you mark everything so you can drop it back in.  I did but screwed something up and ended up learning how to align a distributor with everything unknown.

Chris

I use the 1 wire conversion kits for electronic ignition. Been selling them for 12 yrs. now NO PROBLEMS. The only one who knows it's been converted is you & I.  I ALSO rebuild & re-curve distributors along with faster ratio steering boxes, mini starters, forged pistons & a whole host of other products. 

MY MOTTO 

"if I can't get it you don't need it".

Tom T.

Ok so apparently the non AC cars received no fan shroud? I can see a spot on the core support for the upper fan shroud bracket I presume, and I see two tabs coming up from the bottom which I though were lower mounting tabs for the fan shroud, what do I need to put a fan shroud on this car? I need to know what kind of brackets I should be looking for , etc.

You are correct with that assumping. The radiator mounting bracket is different from an a.c. to none A.c. car. . the tabs are for the lower mount that the shroud goes into. Going to need rubber bushings for them.  You are going to have to buy an a.c. radiator top mount or possibly modify your existing 1 to work. Also they repop the shrouds I believe they are made from fiberglass. No clue on the quality of the  fit.

Here is a link for 1 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-1965-Buick-Riviera-Radiator-Bracket-Top-Upper-Mount-for-AC-Fan-Shroud/232484286245?fits=Year%3A1964|Model%3ARiviera|Make%3ABuick&hash=item362124af25:g:5LAAAOSwfVpYpV8G

Edited by demon452 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Hearse said:

Ok so apparently the non AC cars received no fan shroud? I can see a spot on the core support for the upper fan shroud bracket I presume, and I see two tabs coming up from the bottom which I though were lower mounting tabs for the fan shroud, what do I need to put a fan shroud on this car? I need to know what kind of brackets I should be looking for , etc.

Probably best to post a photo of your present situation. Almost sounds like you already have the correct brackets.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

You'll also need a couple of L brackets that attach to the front crossmember.  The shroud has two holes in the bottom and the L brackets go into the holes in the bottom of the shroud.  All it takes to mount it is the two L brackets and one bolt. 

I don't know if non a/c cars have them, but a/c equipped cars have a rubber seals that sit on the side of the radiator so all of the air is forced through the condenser and radiator.  I don't think those are reproduced, but they're just an L shaped long piece of rubber.

The non a/c cars don't have a shroud but they have something like a flat ribbed panel that would keep the service writer's tie from getting caught in the fan.

This picture shows the panel over the fan on a non a/c car.

image.jpeg.2edc8e67d49f5d4b8106d7f4a161204b.jpeg

• Like 1

Ed,

Of ALL the NON A/C cars I've seen, including mine from new, they ALL have the L-shaped rubber seals between the radiator support & the radiator.

AND on the L-shaped brackets that hold the bottom of the shroud in place they have rubber insulators that hold the shroud fairly tightly to keep it from rattling & moving around.

Tom T.

This is what the car has currently. Is it worth it to put the 8 blade and clutch fan combo on with the fan shroud? or just put an electric pusher on it and call it a day. I'd like to keep it out of 210 range I'm just picky like that, I like my engine's to run between 175 and 215 if possible. IMG_20190305_190754.thumb.jpg.e7470720d4ec484b73cbbf3f3727c26c.jpg

IMG_20190305_201159.jpg

Edited by Hearse (see edit history)

Hi Hearse,   I'd trade in a heartbeat!  The Riv looks great, and I've never been much of a fan of the later Camaros.  I just got my first Riv yesterday, a '63 in Teal Mist.  

SPEAKING OF TRADING....I have a very nice set of wire/spinner wheels that I would trade straight-up for your hub caps!

Cheers from Tampa,   Rich

103_0692.JPG

103_0697.JPG

57 minutes ago, Hearse said:

This is what the car has currently. Is it worth it to put the 8 blade and clutch fan combo on with the fan shroud? or just put an electric pusher on it and call it a day. I'd like to keep it out of 210 range I'm just picky like that, I like my engine's to run between 175 and 215 if possible. IMG_20190305_190754.thumb.jpg.e7470720d4ec484b73cbbf3f3727c26c.jpg

IMG_20190305_201159.jpg

It seems to me that you have the correct bracket in place for A/C.

You might find the following a valuable read for your A/C conversion:

• Like 1

You already have the correct AC type lower brackets in place. Are you sure your car never had AC? Post a pic of the Fisher Body tag located on the engine side of the firewall above the brake booster. Maybe someone changed to the AC lower brackets because they needed a larger bracket for the replacement radiator? Not sure how the factory shroud will fit next to the aluminum radiator, you might need to trim off the stud I see in the pic.

Tom Mooney

Here are info from the 63 manual regarding standard heating and AC.

Also a photo of an AC car, the outlets that you see isn’t there in a none AC car. 64 has the same outlet but the controls has moved down for the AC, maybe someone else have a picture of that.

5FC5B552-925C-4C1D-85C1-12D50ADECE75.jpeg

900E86D6-76F6-4B7F-9B1D-5ECEBC167D05.jpeg

4250C5F9-A9E1-46BE-83D0-32334E551036.jpeg

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)

58 minutes ago, demon452 said:

Looks like your top bracket is missing? A factory shroud will work with an aluminum radiator. I have a champion and it fits up just fine.

Also dash cluster and glove box area would have vents if a.c..

If it's not too much trouble may I see a picture of your set up on your car? I think I just want to put the AC fan and clutch on with the factory fan shroud and call that done.

03C- build date 03- March, C - 3rd week.

Trim 621 - Blue vinyl - custom (full length arm rest with wood grain on door panels and wood grain on the console.)

Paint CC - Arctic White

E - Tinted glass (all)

2D - Heavy duty A/C modifications - "I've never seen this before, but someone will chime in as to what the modifications are."  Perhaps the car was equipped with the larger radiator, clutch fan, and 5 blade impeller, but no A/C ??????

5Z - Seat belts

You're missing this bracket.  It's the bracket that you bolt the shroud to.  The opening goes over the radiator cap.  The two bolts line up with the holes in the part of the bracket that's already bolted to your core support. 

s-l1600.jpg

Here's a picture of the bottom of the bracket.  This picture shows the bracket that's already on your car.  It also shows the bolt that secures the shroud to this bracket.

s-l1600.jpg

I hope that you'll accept what I've posted here as information only.  I'm trying to help by pointing out some of the things that you'll want to know., nothing in the way of criticism.

• Thanks 1

Wow interesting, thank you so much for decoding that tag!!! she was arctic white . I tend to like this blue she has now though and I was going to get it repainted this blue. Heavy duty AC modifications? I'd love to know what that means. I can see a stud head bolt for the AC as well I think. Thank you for decoding that sir I await for the other's to chime in on the heavy duty AC thing.

Here's a picture of the needed bracket in place. The bracket to which you bolt the shroud actually supports the radiator at the top.  (Someone has added a couple of aftermarket Edelbrock carbs to this car.)  This car was originally equipped with A/C but the compressor has been removed.

Related image

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Lol...AC modification car...VERY unusual. Only 370 Rivs including exports were built with this option. Basically, a heavy duty cooling option. Does your car show signs of a bumper hitch...like a couple of holes in the lower face of the rear bumper? You`re original fan shroud has gone AWOL. 

Tom Mooney

Well, a heavy duty cooling option would make sense if the owner intended to tow. Originally your car had the shroud, AC type water pump with the extra impellers, the AC sized radiator and the AC type higher output alternator....so in reality a heavy duty cooling AND charging option. You should also have the fuel bypass/return system which was a guard against vapor lock. There should be a small fuel return line at the filter. 

Can you post a pic of your pulley and belt setup?

Tom Mooney 

• Like 1

It does have a new alternator on it, not sure of the amp size, there is the fuel bypass return system I just put a new WIX fuel filter on it. So that was a guard against vapor lock, that is super interesting lol. I'm loving this car the more I learn about it. Let me go snap a pic of the pulley system real quick one second. 

You should have the AC type clutch and fan and 3 groove crank and water pump pulleys, 2 groove alternator pulley. You should also have the larger in diameter AC type power steering pump pulley which is 5 and 5/8ths in diameter. There wont be a part number stamped into it like `65-`66 but it should have an "AC" stamp in the face of the pulley.

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)