Hearse

Possible new 64 Riviera owner here greetings everyone!

Sunvisors can be bought brand new but are pricey.  I think classic industries sells them.  I sewed mine back together where they split.

Dan Jackson 313-516-1289 in Michigan parts them out so he should have everything you need.

Probably better options locally for chrome though as there would be less of a chance for pitted chrome in the southwest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rapom said:

Sunvisors can be bought brand new but are pricey.  I think classic industries sells them.  I sewed mine back together where they split.

Dan Jackson 313-516-1289 in Michigan parts them out so he should have everything you need.

Probably better options locally for chrome though as there would be less of a chance for pitted chrome in the southwest.

Clark's Corvair makes new replacement sunvisors. With them you know the material will be the correct color and grain for your year. They will also recover your old sunvisor(s) if it is not too badly warped but, that is more costly than buying new ones. They also make replacement sail panels, which are often warped. 

Bill

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 5:31 AM, demon452 said:

Car looks clean from the 1 pic. The passenger side mirror is not factory. Also the location is to far back compared to where the drivers side is. What options does the car have. The 425 was considered a standard engine in 64.

Your dad will appreciate the passenger side rear view mirror, so it's a plus in my mind.  These aren't small cars to maneuver, so having any aid to see better is a benefit.  That mirror looks to be a Buick type of the day and to my eyes doesn't detract from the car at all.

The '64 is a solid car.  If my experience is any gauge, a very reliable vehicle if reasonably maintained  and not abused.  I drove my '65 daily for ten years and over 100k miles, that was on top of the 113k it had when I bought it.   It never let me down.  I finally rebuilt the driveline when I restored the car, but didn't really have to other than by then she was burning a bit more oil from all the miles.  And fun miles they have been!

• Like 1

It'll be here tomorrow, just borrowed a dealer plate to drive it over tomorrow. By 2 it'll be done. I'll update ya. = )

she is home

It'll be here tomorrow, just borrowed a dealer plate to drive it over tomorrow. By 2 it'll be done. I'll update ya. = )

Got her home, drove wonderfully at 80 down the freeway then i ran out of gas, but she is home lol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It read a little less than a quarter tank of gas which i thought was enough to get home but she got me all the way down the freeway to my exit and we coasted down the offramp, went and got some fresh 91 octane, cranked her a couple times and she fired right off. So far I'm sold what a wonderful car on the freeway my god, also the brakes work excellent as i had to step on them as traffic abruptly stopped ahead of me. 

Edited by Hearse (see edit history)

Mine has been reading between an 1/8th. & 1/4, depending on load in the trunk, when it runs out of fuel. Been this way since new.

Well that explains that then lol, it was reading just below a quarter tank when i ran out, no worries. I'm looking into some simple upgrades, pertronix electronic ignition. Ordered a new air and fuel filter for her today. Any thoughts on the Pertronix on these old Nailheads?

Yeah I was looking at Dave's last night. If I can get away with just converting the original distributor over to electronic that would be more cost effective. 

49 minutes ago, Hearse said:

Well that explains that then lol, it was reading just below a quarter tank when i ran out, no worries. I'm looking into some simple upgrades, pertronix electronic ignition. Ordered a new air and fuel filter for her today. Any thoughts on the Pertronix on these old Nailheads?

Try adding a direct wire from one of the screws from the sending unit to a dedicated ground.  The ground now just comes from the gas line to the frame through the clamps.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hearse said:

Yeah I was looking at Dave's last night. If I can get away with just converting the original distributor over to electronic that would be more cost effective. 

I put a Pertronix in my 64.  Works fine.

Which Pertronix do you use Rivnut? I'm just out in the garage looking the car over,  I'm seeing many original vacuum lines, still pliable, original buick windshield washer tank, original starter and asbestos wrapped starter wire, choke tubes etc...definitely looks like a nice original preserved 96k mile Riv. 

10 minutes ago, Hearse said:

Which Pertronix do you use Rivnut? I'm just out in the garage looking the car over,  I'm seeing many original vacuum lines, still pliable, original buick windshield washer tank, original starter and asbestos wrapped starter wire, choke tubes etc...definitely looks like a nice original preserved 96k mile Riv. 

I don't remember.  I called the company and took their recommendations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Try adding a direct wire from one of the screws from the sending unit to a dedicated ground.  The ground now just comes from the gas line to the frame through the clamps.

Ed,

How does the metal fuel line create a path to ground when both ends of the metal line have rubber hoses?

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hearse said:

I installed the 1181LS in my 63. Works fine, no need to take out the distributor or change the coil.

1 hour ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ed,

How does the metal fuel line create a path to ground when both ends of the metal line have rubber hoses?

Tom

I've often wondered that myself but that's what I'd been told.  Guess it's time to do some better research.  So, where does it get it's ground? Through the tank straps would be my next guess.  

35 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I've often wondered that myself but that's what I'd been told.  Guess it's time to do some better research.  So, where does it get it's ground? Through the tank straps would be my next guess.  

That would be my guess,

Tom

53 minutes ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

I installed the 1181LS in my 63. Works fine, no need to take out the distributor or change the coil.

Excellent! thank you for the feedback , guess that's on the maintenance list as of tonight. Did all of these Riv's come with a 4 blade fan? I need to get a fan shroud for her. I'd like to put at least a 5 blade fan on her as well. 

Non A/C equipped vehicles came with an 18" four blade fan.  A/C equipped vehicle came with a 20" five blade fan and standard duty clutch.

• Like 1

Ugh..lol.  Well I guess I need to source a fan shroud and see about maybe putting a pusher fan on , I'm on the West Coast it gets hot out here. 

48 minutes ago, Hearse said:

Ugh..lol.  Well I guess I need to source a fan shroud and see about maybe putting a pusher fan on , I'm on the West Coast it gets hot out here. 

Do you have a/c in your car now?  The a/c cars also used a thermal clutch rather than direct drive fans.  The water pumps on the a/c cars have 5 impellars rather than 3.  Temperatures have not gotten that much hotter since your car was new.  If all of the OE components are in good shape, you don't need to do anything differently.  You dad and grandad drove them the way they came from the factory and didn't have any problems.  And back then, these cars were their daily drivers.  Frank Sinatra owned one and he lived in Las Vegas at the time.  CARS (oldbuickparts.com) has a repro fan shroud.

• Like 1