Balancing 4cyl engine

Mattml430

5 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Old Plumb Bob...

All these years I though he was such a straight-up guy, and now I find out he's crooked.

I heard he is left leaning, but it maybe different from other side...😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I manage to get the chassis side of the mount tacked in and have made one side of the bell housing mount. Was called in for dinner so that’s as far as I got. I’m happy with how neatly it’s gone in and will just need to allow a little on the edge to allow for a bit of movement. 

I’ve basically cut the side off the chassis mount and left the front and back in the chassis. I then welded a plate in between them and have sat the rubber engine mount on it. Ive utilised the plate that bolts to the bell housing, welded the nuts on behind it so I can just bolt the bell housing in once the mounts are in place. I have welded a plate with a small gusset at 90* on the inside of it to rest it onto the mount. 

I have suspended the engine in it’s original position so I can keep a check on the alignment of it all. I’ve raise the rubber mount up about 3-4mm to allow for a little sag once the weight is on it. 

F6DDFBC9-41E8-4D5F-B4E0-D7E03EDC8A7E.jpeg

• Like 2

Managed to get it all done and back together today and test drove it this afternoon. I have to say 90% of the engine vibration is gone from the chassis and car. The difference is amazing, it’s such a difference I might do the victory. It’s actually enjoyable to drive now. I also put some rubber under the front bolt so the front mounts  are sandwiched between rubber. 

6B601507-9471-42D8-BAF4-95E24A0C9E20.jpeg

43A1E829-BEEE-4BB2-B801-B74BC221C41A.jpeg

7834BECF-75AA-4070-8FB3-025A0CF0F951.jpeg

304C6D99-A490-4EFC-80DD-3DB72DA71F55.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 11:50 PM, John McEwan said:

I have modded a spare engine mount bracket on my ‘23 for rubber engine mounts. The chassis and rear mounting system is way different than the later model. I will be fitting it over the weekend and I think it will make a big difference.

994DE234-9888-4A54-8B9E-B732969D567D.jpeg

736D78B1-02E1-42DF-8581-C050ACE53E93.jpeg

Also John when you go to put your floor back in just make sure there is enough clearance around the top of the gearbox. I originally made my floors to fit tight and after the rubber mounts it started to squeak. So I had to take them out and allow a little more clearance. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The I took the DB on a short test drive this afternoon and I have to say within 10 seconds of driving off I could feel a vast improvement. Where it used to vibrate a lot in second in the higher revs there is nothing to speak of now. In 3rd gear cruising along it is the same story. When decelerating from speed before there was a big vibration now it is smooth as silk. The engine even seems to have more acceleration now. Next job is to make a new foot brake mount as the old mounting point had to make way for the new rubber engine mount. Testing with just the hand brake is scary but I couldn’t wait any longer. I also fitted a flexible exhaust joiner under the front floor board so the header could move and not affect the rest of the solid mounted system.

307C6B8C-04A1-4D30-807D-7B638D396C99.jpeg

Edited by John McEwan (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...