Anyone having problems viewing existing posts

• 2 weeks later...

Having said that I noticed that the above post showed up at top of page 1 like it should have.

My last post was on Sat. Feb. 23 at "Buicks at Service Stations".

I just checked and could not find the thread on the first 5 pages, then gave up.

So I am still unsure if it is fixed or not.  

Cal.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Same here. I also get an error message quite often that says something about "too many connections" and I can't access the forum.

I am no longer having this issue but the 'unread' button is very slow. It maybe related to the missing post numbers.

Not sure what all might be going on but have passed this thread on to Peter Gariepy the Administrator. I have experienced problems with accessing the forum and getting the "too many connections" message. Anyone having problems may want to log off and back on as I have found that to help.

• Thanks 1
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:59 PM, MrEarl said:

and you tried logging off and back on? 

That is one of the first things I try.

Since you asked me I couldn't answer your question as it would not let me post.

Now I can post so maybe all is well.  

Cal.

13 hours ago, dei said:

Have not had any problems till today. Seems I can not see who is on lime. It shows only myself....

I have signed out and back on numerous times but stays the same.

Heck I never even knew that was available 🧐 or at least I don't think I did.

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Heck I never even knew that was available 🧐 or at least I don't think I did.

OK, sorry about the typo, it was supposed to read "online".

I view the Forums on my PC and when scrolling all the way down to the bottom with the AACA page open (going past the various makes and Buick Club sections) there was a display of those who were currently online, members and guests. 

What shows now is just me when I sign in and says "No matches to your search". 

It's not something critical to my enjoyment of the Forums and I never experienced issues with postings like others have described but it was a nice feature and now it appears to be removed or gone.

I'm not very computer literate at all but it seems that upgrades can't just be done without changes that make one have to get familiar all over again with the system.

Look at the last major change with posting picture sizes.  

No criticism of the tech support gang is meant here, it is the world we live in.

Hell, my 30 year old son rolls through the computer systems and sites with ease because he grew up with them. 

I on the other hand am showing my age but struggle along because the benefits of a Forums like we have out way the loss I'd feel if the whole thing was gone. 

• Like 1

The error in "Who's online" has been there for at least a few days. I never paid much attention to who was online until someone complained that it was not working correctly That has been reported to the tech staff, but it is not their first priority. I guess it will get fixed at some time in the future. 

• Thanks 1
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, 91vert said:

Having said that I noticed that the above post showed up at top of page 1 like it should have.

My last post was on Sat. Feb. 23 at "Buicks at Service Stations".

I just checked and could not find the thread on the first 5 pages, then gave up.

So I am still unsure if it is fixed or not.  

Cal.

Same thing happening.

Yesterday this post came up at the top of page one and the other two posts I made are there but can't find on pages 1-5.

Cal.

My problem is that my posts just disappear:  I spend time researching and writing a witty response or new post, I submit the reply and it shows up at the bottom.  Then when I come back it is no where to be found!  Now I save the text on my computer and then after sometimes 3 tries it finally "sticks".  I'm starting to think it is some "super moderator" that doesn't like me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

I'm starting to think it is some "super moderator" that doesn't like me.

Willie my friend, as I explained to you when we talked on the phone when I was loading that car up in the freezing rain in VA last week, I nor Super Moderator are arbitrarily removing those posts.  Now I have indeed edited or removed a couple of your "the devil made me do it" comments but you know what those were. There is a problem with posts disappearing as noted by you and others above and I really hope the administrator ups the priority on getting the problem sorted out as I, and I'm sure Super Moderator are weary of folks thinking we are the culprit. 

So I beg your patience my good man:)

Signed

BCA Moderator-Service With a Smile:)

@Peter Gariepy I assume these problems are across the board so would these posts, comments serve better and get your attention better if they were in  Forum Software Questions Forum? If so I'll be happy to move them.

• Like 1

The problem that I've been having is with the "Go to first unread post" function.  When it's working properly, a click on the dot or star to the left of the topic will take you to the first unread post in the thread.  Lately, it often takes me to a post that I read days earlier instead.  If I read the whole thread and come back later to see new posts, another click on that button is likely to drop me somewhere in the middle rather than at the first unread post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, parkertom said:

Several posts are missing from the Buick-General thread. Are these being deleted? They were about the BOD election and now are gone.

The Moderator needs to come on-board and explain to the General Membership WHO is making the decision to delete those Threads and WHY. 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, 1953mack said:

The Moderator needs to come on-board and explain to the General Membership WHO is making the decision to delete those Threads and WHY. 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

I have heard there is a change in Moderators, not sure who it even is anymore.

Are they actually being deleted? My screen currently has a message at the top that says "The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete." This morning when I logged in the "Unread Content" button didn't list any content and my own list of previous posts was empty. It's all back and working now, so I'm guessing as they work through the software issue posts will start to reappear. I don't think there's any deception or selective editing by Big Brother going on, just a computer snafu. The software has been buggy for the past few weeks and I think Peter G is trying to fix it without taking the site offline entirely--I don't know anything about computers, but that is probably a big challenge. Let's give him and his team (if there is a team, he might be doing this all himself so respect his commitment to the job) the opportunity to get everything sorted out before we start worrying if there's a conspiracy afoot or speculating on rumors.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Yes, posts are being deleted.  I have been told it has to do with controlling the information that the membership receives and it is not me or my peers that are seeking a transparent inclusive club.  A whole thread was deleted this morning. 

Here is where the thread used to be.

Here's another: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/320498-bod-candidates/.

Perhaps a residual software problem, but it seems a little too coincidental.

If these apparent deletions represent a new policy, I would respectfully request that it be announced as such.

33 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Are they actually being deleted? My screen currently has a message at the top that says "The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete." This morning when I logged in the "Unread Content" button didn't list any content and my own list of previous posts was empty. It's all back and working now, so I'm guessing as they work through the software issue posts will start to reappear. I don't think there's any deception or selective editing by Big Brother going on, just a computer snafu. The software has been buggy for the past few weeks and I think Peter G is trying to fix it without taking the site offline entirely--I don't know anything about computers, but that is probably a big challenge. Let's give him and his team (if there is a team, he might be doing this all himself so respect his commitment to the job) the opportunity to get everything sorted out before we start worrying if there's a conspiracy afoot or speculating on rumors.

Threads are being deleted to control discussion and limit information.

Ask Peter G to repost the link discussion that I showed above.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

OK folks, like a fool I am jumping in here.  I have not been a part of your discussions nor have I taken any action in regards to any posts that have been published.  However, I have seen a string of complaints from several sides of a political argument about BCA made to our moderators. AACA does it best to stay out of the workings of the individual clubs that we provide this free service.  Our moderators, who represent several clubs, have been told to watch out for vulgar language, spam, and threads that they feel could cause legal ramifications for all of us. 

Our forums years ago were like the "wild, wild West" with personal insults accusations and conduct that would make many prospective members for AACA and the individual clubs run the opposite direction. We do not want to return to those days.  From the complaints I have seen there was a feeling that the political discussion had gotten out of hand, like all elections seem to go these days. It  has always been to goal of AACA to provide people the opportunity of good fellowship, education, assistance and the overall enjoyment of the hobby.  As such, what I believe happened is that one or more moderators felt enough was enough.

I did not want you to be ignored and I will do my best to get with the moderators  to find out exactly what has happened but this is what I am guessing is to be correct.  Please accept this statement for what it is, an attempt to at least get you an answer of some type.  I know people will be screaming about free speech and the like but I simply do not have the entire picture to tell you what has happened.  I have very little time for the forums these days but will ask the troops for a formal reply. 

Roberta, with all do respect, this forum software which we pay for and is not cheap is one of the leading forum software companies in existence.  When Peter made the recommendation to move from our old software due to huge security issues it was no small deal as we have a multitude of constituencies to deal with and some heavy data.  At times, software updates have caused trouble but the company has been quick to address them.  We have had several updates recently and they have not gone 100% smoothly. No one helps us with the expense of these forums so suggesting we spend more money on top of what we are doing now is a bit sad to hear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Ask Peter G to repost the link discussion that I showed above.

That's incorrect.  I removed the thread you refer to because it was quickly getting heated just like the BOD Candidates thread. I was following the lead of the administrator who removed the BOD Candidates thread. Both of those threads were full of finger pointing, innuendo and calling people out by name.   I'm in the unique position as a member of the BCA and a moderator of this forum in that I can be unbiased and fair because I don't know any of the candidates being discussed or the people who posted in the threads that were removed. I don't have an axe to grind.

It appears that at least two administrators, who are BCA members, are no longer moderating this forum. I may be the next to go but until I do I won't allow this forum to turn into a platform for running down people you don't agree with. Especially in the middle of a BOD election.  If anyone disagrees with me on this feel free to go over my head.  I am just a bottom of the barrel moderator who has lots of folks above me you can complain to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
32 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Threads and posts are being hidden, not deleted. They are still visible to me as an admin, and honestly, based on the less-than-pleasant tone of a couple of them, I can understand why a mod made a decision to hide them. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, BUICK RACER said:

i just sent him(Peter G) an email as I can't PIN a topic anymore only says I can HIDE, LOCK or DELETE, DUH? Maybe it's time to invest in some real forum software as this has not been the best of the best for years.

Powers for all levels of moderators are individually enabled/disabled on IPB. If you no longer are able to pin topics, someone almost certainly changed  your moderator permission set.

Lots of assumptions going on... Let's cut to the chase. I am the administrator and lead moderator for ALL AACA forums. FYI: I have been for 21 years.  I generally stay in the background. I assign moderators, and provide them guidance, address technical issues, etc. In recent days the status of some of the moderators has changed.  Therefore I am now assuming a more active role in moderating.

I have taken offline the "2019 Elections" and "BOD Candidates" threads as many of the participants are NOT following the forum rules.  

The rules are easy to find.  Simply click "Rules" in the menu bar are simple goto:  https://forums.aaca.org/terms/

I do not moderate without an extreme amount of forethought. In the case of the 2 threads in questions: It's the right thing to do.

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2