Urgent technical help! Distributer and plug wires arrangement

Selim

Need to know arrangement of plugs wires to distributer in my 8 cylinder straight 8 original engine of my Buick super 1949. 

I did engine overhaul and mechanic is confused about routes for each plug wire of 8 plugs from left to right . Which one is where? First one to left or right ? 

Thanks Larry so much

but we were confused cos it’s written on block as shown in pic the right order as u mentioned , yet number 1 is towards front windshield and last one is facing radiator! So we are confused which is number 1 exactly ? And number 2 would be the one after it immediately? Or the order would b as u mentioned, meaning after 1 would be 6 then 2 and ....

0EF875AC-346A-4805-885E-11B01F22A170.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Selim said:

Thanks Larry so much

but we were confused cos it’s written on block as shown in pic the right order as u mentioned , yet number 1 is towards front windshield and last one is facing radiator! So we are confused which is number 1 exactly ? And number 2 would be the one after it immediately? Or the order would b as u mentioned, meaning after 1 would be 6 then 2 and ....

0EF875AC-346A-4805-885E-11B01F22A170.jpeg

\ Damm, brother, believe I would find  ANOTHER MECHANIC.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As I noted to you on your other post under General Discussion:

Front of car and front of engine is #1, and each one rearward  is #2, #3, etc

Looking at right side of engine, #1 is at far right - #8 is at far left

hope this helps,

of course youe mechanic should look at a MOTORS MANUAL, or a CHILTONS, or a BUICK SHOP MANUAL

6 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

@Selim It was a good thing you asked your question rather than taking a stab at the wiring and getting it wrong.  Looks like a Beautiful Buick.  What did you do in terms of the overhaul of the engine?  

Actually we did complete overhaul of the engine. We were about to start engine first time last night , we tried many times but engine was not responding properly and was clear that firing order was wrong! After many trials I decided to ask u guys

did those trials affect the overhaul we did? Is there any damage done due to those wrong trials ? 

Thanks

actually we did complete overhaul of the engine. We were about to start engine first time last night , we tried many times but engine was not responding properly and was clear that firing order was wrong! After many trials I decided to ask u guys

did those trials affect the overhaul we did? Is there any damage done due to those wrong trials ? 

Thanks

46 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

You, yourself say it`s a "straight eight" in your original posting.. I hope you got the timing gears(crankshaft and cam) timed right on re-assembly..

Yep, sure did.  Original engine in a '49, he said.   Troll? Hope not. Confused? Surely.

Ben

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Selim said:

Actually we did complete overhaul of the engine. We were about to start engine first time last night , we tried many times but engine was not responding properly and was clear that firing order was wrong! After many trials I decided to ask u guys

I believe the engine is a non interference motor, so unless you changed original specs with taller pistons and thinner head gaskets, there should not be a problem.  

I assume that you have primed the oil pump and perhaps primed the oil system before the first try to start the engine?  If not I would recommend priming the oil system now to make sure there is some lubrication everywhere it should be on start up. 

Also the comment about the timing gears by @pont35cpe above is spot on.  Without the factory description many folks would automatically line up the timing marks on the timing gears, but that is not correct for a Buick of that age. 

4 hours ago, Selim said:

actually we did complete overhaul of the engine. We were about to start engine first time last night , we tried many times but engine was not responding properly and was clear that firing order was wrong! After many trials I decided to ask u guys

Thanks

•  

Selim, do you recall on assembly of timing gears, mark on each gear should be at the approx. 3 o`clock position with 11 links of timing chain mark to mark. If that`s correct, bring #1 cylinder (closest to water pump)bring piston to top dead center on the compression stroke, also at this point timing marks on flywheel should be visable thru the window(bell-housing)above the starter(if the flywheel was installed on the crankshaft in the correct position). With the #1 piston TDC compression stroke you are ready to install the dist.(picture, rotor position)you may have to turn oil pump shaft to get the dist to drop in completely. If you have an original dist. cap the firing order is on the top of the cap, #s located at the base of plug towers. If not, start with #1 going counterclockwise thru the firing order on the plug cover, running plug wires. Should fire up..

DSCN5384.JPG

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

\ Damm, brother, believe I would find  ANOTHER MECHANIC.

Interesting I should come across this today. We drove in to Rochester for breakfast. I am pretty sure English was a second language in the kitchen of the restaurant.

I am imaging the exclamations of some of my friends if we had a similar misinterpretation. The words would make an old sailor like me blush...... a little.

• Haha 2