1930 Packard Custom Eight Model 740 - 7 Passenger Limousine

1930 Packard Custom Eight Model 740 - 7 Passenger Limousine

Original 1930 Packard with less than 35000 miles.  Right-hand drive.  CCCA Full Classic (R).  Black paint and green/gold cloth interior.  Factory modifications:  Lucas "trafficator" lighted mechanical turn signals, single fog light, and bulb-type auxiliary "Boa Constrictor" horn.  Copper tinted windows for original owner.   Extensive provenance and documentation to 1930s.  Recent mechanical inspection.  New battery and new tires.  Location:  Gettysburg, PA.

I purchased this Packard along with my father in 2008.  Sharing the antique car hobby proved a wonderful way to spend time and grow together with my father.  Nearly eleven (11) years later and along with his death in 2015, it has come time to right-size my collection.  This Full-Classic (R) Packard, recognized for its Historic Preservation of Original Features (HPOF) by the Antique Car Club of America (AACA) retains much original paint and the interior compartments are all completely original transporting you to a time of upper-class luxury and distinction.  

SPECIFICATIONS:  8CYL.  385 CU. IN., Bore & Stroke 3.5 IN.  5 IN., 4900 LBS weight, 140 IN. Wheelbase, 4 Speed Transmission, Right-hand Drive, Estimated Price New:  $3885

HISTORY OF THE CAR:

William Selkirk of Cumberland England was the first owner of the limousine.  He was a mining engineer who, had made his money by developing the Roan Antelope copper mine in the British colony of Rhodesia, modern day Zimbabwe.  Mr. Selkirk purchased Colwood House in Warninglid about 40 miles south of London and retired a wealthy man in 1928 at the age of 60.  In May 1930 he ordered his Packard through Leonard-Williams & Company of London where it was modified for use in England.  Among the original modifications to this auto are right-hand drive, Lucas "trafficator" lighted mechanical turn signals, single fog light, and bulb-type auxiliary "Boa Constrictor" horn. 

Of particular interest today is the time-capsule of the interior.  The chauffeur area shows well-worn original leather, while the passenger compartment is completely unmolested.  Featuring barely worn upholstery, and vintage cigar lighter, intercom, and clock, it is an amazing time capsule of a gilded age.    

Mr Selkirk used the car to be chauffeured from London to his manor in Warninglid until his death in 1960.  Numerous original papers included with the car include his owner's manual and various papers dated from the period of his ownership.  Upon his death, the car transferred to Peter Lumsden for a number of years but then was purchased by Mr. Ted Sullivan of Chicago Illinois in 1968.  Original letters and correspondence document this exchange, including shipping dock receipt and delivery order.  Mr. Sullivan serviced and cared for the car for the next 35 years.

Time and priorities dictate sale of this wonderful classic Packard.  I hope that she finds a home and a new owner who will enjoy the her and the hobby for years to come. 

More photos to be posted soon.

Any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask. 

Asking $98,000

740 3qtr view at Pumping Station.JPG

740 at Refectory WeddingDay2014.jpg

740 Frontal shot at Gettysburg Seminary 2010.JPG

740 Packard 3qtr Nov09.JPG

740 Packard profile Nov09.JPG

740 w Killian on WeddingDay 2014.JPG

• Like 1

I know the owner of this car well, and I knew his dad, too.  Both very active and well known in local Packard circles.  Absolutely honest, know their stuff, and love their Packards.