1986 Lincoln Town Car, Continental Trunk Mod

Robuck

Hello,

My name is Mark, I am 17 and am completely in love with my 1986 Lincoln Town Car! It rides like a dream, and is huge and bulky just how I like it. There are a few things I want to change, but for this post I want to discuss replacing the trunk with one from a Lincoln Continental. I like the trunk design of them more, the big bulge where the tire sits is very appealing- it has that sort of classic vibe instead of the kind of flat design that my lincoln sports. Would doing something like this be possible? What year continental should I look for to salvage the trunk? I'm open to doing a little modifications to both my car and the trunk piece if necessary, there is no way it would just fit automatically. I heard once that there was a kit for this, but I am not able to find any information on it. 

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Mark, congratulations on getting an interesting car!

I like the Town Cars from that era.

I think the Town Car trunk lids which you

may have seen with the "continental" bulge

were modified in the after-market, and sold

through after-market suppliers.  I have seen them

on 1975-79 Lincoln Town Cars and Town Coupes,

but perhaps they were also made for the 1986 era.

I have seen them on 1975-79 limousines, convertibles made

outside the factory, and on an occasional other model.

They aren't merely lids from a different model;  the 

1986 Continental is a smaller car and its lid would not fit.

If you find the after-market lid I describe, it would actually

fit your car.  I hope others can tell you more.

Hello Mark!  Welcome to the forum.  I have no direct answer to your question but I do enjoy the fact you have that big Lincoln and like it so much.  Certainly not a typical car for someone your age.  The lines of your car may make it difficult to make this modification but a creative body person might be able to come up with something that might fit what you are looking for.  

I think he means using the trunk lid from a 1980-83 Mark VI 4 door. It is basically the same body, but the trunk lid from the Mark VI goes all the way down to the bumper while the Town Car trunk lid stops above the large reflector that runs the width of the rear. So major modifications would probably be needed to remove metal behind the reflector panel to install the Mark VI trunk lid. The Mark VI trunk lid probably has more of an angle to it also.

Mark

I recall seeing a 1985-'89 Town Car with a 1980-'83 Mark VI four door deck lid fitted back when those were nearly new cars.  It seemed to be a natural fit.  No doubt they had to remove the reflector panel, though how much if any modifications for the trunk latch is unknown.  Certainly worth a search for parts sources and to give it a try if its how you'd prefer your Town Car to look.   The Town Car in question was one of those customized by AHA to a Formal Sedan with the rear roof quarter with nearly vertical backlight, small limousine-style rear window and half-padded top.  All in all, quite and elegant look evoking the Classic Era luxury car.  Good luck with your personalizing efforts.

Steve