Supercharged Reatta

wufibug

Way way back when it was a lot easier for me to do my own oil changes, and about the time I believe Shorty installed an Allante 4.9 in his car [though I'm not sure if he had the display/onboard diagnostics working], one of our members did a really elegant installation of what I thought was a supercharged L67  in his Reatta.  Can't remember his name, and I tried to do a search.  Did not find what I was looking for, but what I came up with was the 2005 exchange between Padgett, 2seater, Greg and some others about the finer points and problems of this conversion.  My very faulty recollection is that the Series I motor was a bolt in, but the real problems began with programming and the limits of our transmission which has about all it can handle in our stock motor.  Assuming one was going to respect the limits of the tranny, have the other problems been surmounted.  Has anyone detailed this installation for those of us far better at following instructions than resolving the complexities and hurdling the obstacles?

Edited by wufibug (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Phils38cpe said:

I had a Fiero with a series 2 SC 3800 with about 320 HP and I used a 4T60E tranny which I believe is the same as the 4T60  except  the modulator is electronic. I never had a problem in over 90,000 miles. Before anyone pipes up I was running the 3800 on OBD1

Which ECM or PCM did you use to shift the 4T60E? That transmission is shifted electrically with solenoids that the stock Reatta ECM isn't capable of controlling.

2 hours ago, Phils38cpe said:

I believe it was a 96 Bonneville  But I think that the strength of the trannys is about the same and I had no problem although I didn't beat on it too hard

Good advice. My '90 has been turbocharged to varying levels for many years and around 40k miles, at about 140k now. No doubt the original transaxle would be the fusible link if constantly driven hard, but if some discretion is used, like getting some speed and rpm before pushing really hard, it can last for some time. A large fluid cooler for the trans. is also a good idea, especially if the engine is boosted.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:08 PM, wufibug said:

Daniel, that is a beautiful installation.  Did you happen to document it somewhere?

What was involved in putting the F40 in the Reatta?

That looks like it might be a 91 since I don't see the dreaded anti-lock master cylinder there.

It is an 89. I installed the 91 abs system years ago. I did a write up on the series one swap, and would suggest that if you are not looking at building the motor above 300 hp. The series two is a lot more work and modifications.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, wufibug said:

I'm sorry,  Daniel, but where are your write ups on the Series I swap and the ABS replacement?  Didn't the forum used to have a designated place for these writeups?

Also the reatta owners journal has also preserved the thread.

Glad to see that.

• Like 1