A Tour Car Shows up in Virginia!

R W Burgess

It's funny how getting together with AACA members gets you researching things. The wife went through our closet today and came across these ancient pictures.

Back in about 1997, while looking for another antique driver, I saw this 1956 Chevy Handyman Wagon in a for sale mag. 235 cu in 6 cylinder, 3 speed tranny. It was located in Washington State. The owner had remodeled this guy's kitchen, but the guy could not pay the bill, so he traded the Chevy to pay off the debt. I bought it just from the pictures, paid the moving company $1.100.00 to bring it to Warsaw Virginia.

It's first meet was with the Richmond Region in the DPC class. The judges were not happy about the wheels, even more unhappy about the exhaust pipe exiting right behind the driver's window. I got my badge though. Earl Beauchamp talked me into finding original wheels and wheel covers, thanks Paul Stosch.

This car now has so many tour stickers on its side windows that you can hardly look out of them anymore. Besides the tours listed below in Texas Alabama and Virginia, the Chevy has also been to New Jersey, New Hampshire, Maine, Louisville Kentucky, and others that I can not even remember. We enjoy touring and this car always brings a smile to people's faces.

Pictures below:

1. the moving company truck.

2. here she is rolling off the trailer. The guy had to bump start it coming down the ramp. The battery was dead.

3. front view

4. rear view

5. 2010 Kerrville Texas

6. Huntsville Alabama

7. Richmond Region Tour 2016

CAR CARRIER.jpg

COMING OFF THE TRAILER.jpg

FRONT VIEW.jpg

REAR VIEW.jpg

KERRVILLE TEXAS MARCH 2010.jpg

25th Silver Anniversary- Huntsville Albama.jpg

EASTERN VA TOUR.jpg

I remember how the DPC team came unglued by the Lake Pipes at the Richmond show.  But, they were happier in Cumberland, MD; or, I think it was Cumberland, MD.  Looks like Judy will not be up to driving 139 miles each way to Ocala.  I've got to decide whether to bring the '91 Park Avenue or the '41 Roadmaster now.  In either case, I hope I don't have to drive through rain.  Both will be drivers, but I'd like to give them a shot at judging once or twice first.