Clum Lighting Switch Function

strangeplant

I got a 1934 Dodge Clum 9526 from eBay with the intent of adapting it to my Hudson car. It will take some machining, and I can do that. I'm looking for information on the original designed use connections to this switch so I can apply it correctly. If lucky, I won't need to modify it at all. Anyone happen to have a 1934 Dodge?

In the past, I've heard of one of these selling for $350 to $450. I've never seen one myself, except on a museum car, or a car at Hershey. I've been looking for three years. They just do not exist and tend to self-destruct because of the high amps load of the headlights. I'm going to solve that by using relays under the dash. The switch does not have a stamped number as far as I know. The following is the best picture I can find. Not too helpful.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZQL0B4nYYN9dFglNHtQOnAvYylDxcKA7/view?usp=sharing

Shows the switch on the end of the steering column. The terminals come off the body at 80 deg angle. The switch internally has 11 contacts in a circle. The Dodge switch has 12. No big difference. I just need to know where the terminals attach to for the Dodge, should be something like 1 Off, 2 Brake lite enabled, 3 running and cowl light on,4  low beam headlight, 5 high beam headlight. Switch did have a fuse (not needed) and a dropping resistor wire coil for the low beam (can be done off-switch). The center shaft was hollow, with the horn wire passing through, and that can be drilled.

I think its totally proper to construct this missing switch any way I can and if I can keep a car working by using a modified Dodge switch, well, that's the way its gotta be. There is a long procedure worked out and available to replace the contact innards of a destroyed or inoperable switch using the mechanical assembly.

I was just hoping to find someone with a wiring diagram for the Dodge so I can apply that to my car. That's all.

strangeplant, That '34 Dodge Brothers switch is NOT designed for the bottom of the steering column. It id=s dash mounted and operated by a lever. The '34 has a weird headlight wiring system. In headlight Lo the switch connects to both Driver and Pass side headlights BUT in the HI position the Pass side connects to the hi filament however on the driver side there is a foot operated switch that dims that side by operating the foot switch. This foot operated dimmer switch affects ONLY the driver side headlight.

I have a CLUM steering column switch 10661 (or 10681) If you like I can send pix. It does operate by the hollow shaft down the inside of the steering column shaft by a compression nut to capture it to that shaft. Send Me a PM for more info.

• 1 year later...

You should start your own topic rather than hi-jacking a thread that was started Feb. 13, 2019 and has not been visited since Feb. 16, 2019 except for your post.

Good luck with your search.