Model 54 headlight parts needed

• 1 month later...

Tom

Did you locate the parts you need?

Spring is here and I have been going to the shop.

I have one headlight from a Model 54 somewhere.

Do you still need this?

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker@mac.com

Put  "studebaker" in the subject line otherwise it goes straight to trash!

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

Really no way of telling. The fact that they appear to be identical leads me to speculate that it was a fleet order. The side mounts were optional as you know and all of these cars are side mounted with wire wheels so they were not economy models.

4-door rf copy.jpg

The picture above has the painted radiator shell (and headlight buckets?) which means it was built earlier than the 25 sedans.  Correct?  I know there were running changes to the model 54, but I'm still learning the nuances.  I really like the painted radiator 'look'.

I found a headlight like show in the above post but is not the one Tom needed.

I maybe for a Mode l 61.

If anyone is interested in this for parts (rust hole in bucket) it can be had for a reasonable contribution to the Studebaker National museum.

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker@mac.com

Put "studebaker" in the subject line , otherwise it goes straight to trash!

IMG_4440.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

So I received the lights.  Very nice, and the parts I needed are all there.  In fact I'll have a spare headlamp to put on the shelf in case I need one.  One very strange thing with these new lights though.  They are stamped Tiltray on the top.  My lights are stamped Glolite.  Other than the stamp, the lights are identical.  All the parts swap, the bulb holders, spring, clamping mechanism, all the exact same.  I thought they were mis-marked in the add, but nope.

So my question is - were Tiltray and Glolite separate manufacturers?  Maybe one took over the other at some point?  Any body know any history on these, or is it lost to time?

Thanks Robert,

That photo of the Glolite lens is very interesting.  Looks like it was made by Corcoran lamp Co.  Maybe Glolite was a style, or they sold their rights or designs to different manufacturers.  I can only find that Glolite made Christmas lights, not auto lights.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Robert - I did not buy the lights in the links you sent.  They look like they would work, but the construction of the light is a little different from what mine are. I'll take a few photos of the lights I have this week and post them here so you'll have a visual reference of a 31 model 54 lamp.