Catch can

checkmate

1 hour ago, checkmate said:

Oil catch can. Does my TC need one?

This is not a term often, if ever, used when referring to any part on a modern automobile.  May I ask, WHAT is an "oil catch can" used for?

And since I have not heard of it in the 50+ years working as a Chrysler Tech, my answer would be, No, you do not need one.

If you explained your meaning and use of an oil catch can, we may be able to assist you better, with an answer.

Oil catch cans are popular item on cars like my 2012 Equinox with a V-6 that have direct injection. It catches the oil in the vapors that come from the PCV valve to prevent them from building up on the intake valves. Normally fuel injected engines keep the oily buildup washed off the back side of the intake valve with fuel sprayed on the valve as it goes into the cylinder.  Direct injection engines don't have fuel going through the intake valves. Only air mixed with the oily fumes from the PCV system.

• Like 1

No, the car doesn't need an oil catch can. The V6 PCV system is pretty simple and works well as long as the engine has been taken care of. There are baffles inside of the rocker covers that are integral to the system and if they get clogged it'll push oil out everywhere.

The PCV filter is in the air box and it has an open hose as a vent.

• Like 1