29hupp

Top Material

I am in need of top material for my 1929 Hupmobile sedan.  I need a minimum of 63 inches width and the widest I can find is 60 inches.  Any help would be appreciated. 1085962330_topmaterial.thumb.JPG.b06bedfc4e374159f68f7071ac5f7eac.JPG

I used Tomneau cover  material on my 1930 Studebaker,not hard to get

84" wide. Smooth pattern looks like original to me,although yours looks a little  more defined.

Snyder's antique auto parts Lists your top material in 65" widths by the running foot part # A-47300.

• Like 2

You're probably matching a material that's already been replaced  once, years ago. That long grain Model A material was reproduced decades ago and since it was the only game in town,  it was "close enough". I've found many non-Ford cars had a very smooth top material.  Ols car dog is on the right track with the smooth tonneau material that is closer to correct for top use. Lucky for me I have a very original  untouched  '32 Terraplane coupe that still has its original top! Here's a close up.

Screenshot_20181111-211315_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

FYI,  Not just Model A.

Lots of other makes of cars originally used that long cobra grain material for roof covering in the late 1920's and early 30's. Both as imitation leather and in real leather. One company name of the imitation cobra grain that appears a lot on drawing specs of that era is "Meritas Cloth".   Sometimes it's tough to tell what's on the car because the grain shrinks with age and becomes flatter than the modern cobra grain, and it's often buried under many coats of top dressings.

It was also used as covering material for sun visors and accessory trunks.  

I have a 1931 Derham Bodied limo in the shop with the original all leather cobra grain top.

Paul

Suggest you have a good shop put on your cover. I have some  amateur jobs on well deserving vehicles. Also do not use a foam rubber material under the top because the exposure to heat and sun will turn foam into a powder.

This is original match to pieces found on my Dodge Brothers truck. It is “long grain cobra”.

0C716EB9-0132-451D-9450-09AF99C89CAF.jpeg.a42ef57dfa9db3056ce9a3d44d9ed5f8.jpegDB056500-C5CA-4B4D-BCF6-275836FCE21B.jpeg.c622cdc93fb5fcfbd3e06578fb200ac7.jpeg 

I plan on installing the top material myself.  So far every thing on restoring this car has been done by myself including making some fairly complex engine and drive train parts.  I have become self taught at castings and machining several parts.  The only one judging the car will be me.  I just want a nice looking (to me) and reliable car that runs well that I can drive as much as I want.

• Like 2