Annual Meeting Hotel

ex98thdrill

Hey guys, to everyone who went to the Annual Meeting, CHECK YOUR HOTEL BILLS.

We arrived Thursday afternoon and left Saturday afternoon. 

When we got there, we found out that you either had to pay for valet parking, or park in the garage across the street. 

I was told that the valet parking was $20 a day, the difference in price between the valet parking versus going across the street was minimal, so we took the valet parking.

After reviewing the bill, THE HOTEL CHARGED US $150 FOR PARKING!!

We called the hotel and got it straightened out, but if you parked at the hotel, you might've got socked.  They overcharged us $100.

Check your statement....

This has nothing to do with the Annual Meeting Committee, but watch the hotel.  Had I not caught it, we'd have gotten socked.  If anyone wants a copy of my bill let me know and I can point it out.

• Like 1

It makes you wonder how many people will get socked and won't catch it. 

Again it's nothing against the Annual Meeting Committee, but definitely something that they need to be aware of. 

I like the location, I like the facilities, but when you have people being overcharged by the hotel and high banquet prices it can change your opinion really quick. 

For several years I was going to the region president's dinner.  I'm glad I'm not a region president anymore, but if I was I wouldn't be going.  For years that meal was horrible and from what I heard Friday night nothing has changed.  I feel bad for the National Directors who are expected to go, adhere to a dress code and pay good money at those banquets when they can eat for a whole lot less by walking down the street.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

On 2/12/2019 at 8:41 AM, ex98thdrill said:

It makes you wonder how many people will get socked and won't catch it. 

Again it's nothing against the Annual Meeting Committee, but definitely something that they need to be aware of. 

I like the location, I like the facilities, but when you have people being overcharged by the hotel and high banquet prices it can change your opinion really quick. 

For several years I was going to the region president's dinner.  I'm glad I'm not a region president anymore, but if I was I wouldn't be going.  For years that meal was horrible and from what I heard Friday night nothing has changed.  I feel bad for the National Directors who are expected to go, adhere to a dress code and pay good money at those banquets when they can eat for a whole lot less by walking down the street.

I had them send me an email of my confirmation, so when I went to pay the bill I knew exactly what it should cost.  I checked the bill and said, "why this price? It was supposed to be......".  The lady said, "wait I'm taking off the parking"  I saiid, "And don't charge me for that safe either, 'cause I never used it."  I got my bill.  When I looked for the billing Monday on my online banking, it was all over the place.  I called and left a message that if it wasn't fixed by the next day I'd call the credit card company.  That night they added another $500 and I was ready for Tuesday.  Tuesday they called and said they were getting it all straightened on.  At that point my bill was $1100.  But sure enough on Wednesday morning it was all fixed and the correct amount.  The Regions dinner wasn't really too bad this year I didn't think.  The Saturday night banquet was lousy....for us....because we won't eat meant that is red or pink.....one reason we don't eat out a lot.  The guy came by and I told him, and he took the plates and recooked what I hadn't already struggled to eat....and it was done.  My wife still didn't eat it.  Hotel banquet meals, I've found, are always kind of lousy, but I've continued to go to Philadelphia for 54 of the last 55 years and I was sick that one year.  You have to stop and realize that you're there to enjoy the "ambiance" not necessarily the meal.  The worst one I ever went to was in California, where the meat was dripping blood.  We returned it and it came back virtually no different.  We ate noting that night.  The best one ever was at a National in Charlotte, NC where they served filet (I can't spell the rest) and the meat was tender and DONE.  I think now there is no longer and indoor banquet at Charlotte.  So just remember, enjoy the ambiance and your fellow collectors at the table.

• Thanks 1

Well, I have learned to eat my steak medium, so I was PLEASED with Saturday night's steak. I do agree blood dripping is still a turn off to me too! Way better than any banquet food I have had. Why no vegetarian options? I and another guest got extra steak from trading our vegetables to another guest at our table so they had something to eat.

Friday night Region Dinner, however, was a disaster in the meal department. Glad I finished my salad.😉  No refills on water, no iced tea, no coffee offered by wait staff. But the desert was great that night....

Hotel still has no hot water at 7 in the morning. Until this is resolved, I see no reason to attend that facility. I can eat around the corner,  lots of restaurants and a convenience store within two blocks, but it is hard to shower around the corner!😨

We had the same problem with cold water in the shower the first morning but my wife called the front desk and we never experienced that anymore. They have those inline water heaters and apparently they can reset them because they fixed the problem from the front desk

I have enjoyed the Friday night meal in years past. This year, the salad and dessert were great on Friday night, but the rest of the meal was a disappointment. I had very little warm water on both Friday and Saturday mornings. I hope they can fix that before next year. In years past, the elevators have been some of the slowest I have ever experienced. This year I was amazed at the speed of the elevators. Obviously, they got that issue addressed in the remodel process. I hope they do as good a job on the hot water situation before next year.   

I too experienced a lack of hot water Saturday morning and a room that was difficult to get as warm as I would have enjoyed.  Since Sheraton has been bought by Marriott, I would expect all issues to be resolved by the 2020 Annual Meeting (Convention), especially anything regarding food.  Since he is an avid car collector, I assume Bill Marriott is an AACA member and thus we should have a direct line to resolve any issues should they occur.

• 1 month later...

I'm late getting back on here. but understand that the Annual Awards Committee have done NOTHING wrong.  This was a hiccup on the end of the hotel.  I've been going to the annual meeting the better part of 9 years and never seen what we saw this year.  When the same committee has been doing things the same time, in the same place, it's very seldom you see issues.  As for the banquets, I know AACA preaches how they want the younger folks to get involved, but there are a lot of things you cannot resolve due to costs.  A $50 or $60 per meal banquet ticket makes it cost prohibitive for a younger person with a family.