Sign in to follow this  
Tommy Hooks 1990 Reatta

Transmission issue after engine revved up

I was returning home, after a 2 hour drive. I pulled onto interstate with minimum acceleration, when my car jumped into some kind of hyper-acceleration like I had crammed the gas pedal to the floor. I immediately hit the break, to gain control, but I heard some kind of pop, that resulted in me not having forward movement in the drive position. Also noted the speedometer stopped working. The engine just revved up, indicating the transmission was not working. I pulled over and moved the gear shifter into a lower position, which allowed me to drive home. The speedometer still not working. The next day, I rented a car hauler, to take my car to the shop. I was  surprised to find, when I put the car into drive, it worked. I also checked reverse, and it worked too. I drove it onto the hauler, and took it to the shop. The mechanic drove the car down the road, but it did not shift . I told him to change the filter and fluids, but he said he did not think that would solve the issue. I looked on the forum, and found others had the same problem. I did save the page, but i can not get it to open now. I don't know why. (just another observation) when I cranked my car, at the shop, the security horn went off. I hadn't had it come on in years, and I don't know why it did at the shop. Another problem that has not gone away, is the dash cluster, still will occasionally go off.  

12 minutes ago, Tommy Hooks 1990 Reatta said:

The mechanic drove the car down the road, but it did not shift . I told him to change the filter and fluids, but he said he did not think that would solve the issue.

I don't want to sound rude but - if you took your car to a shop where you have to tell them what needs to be done you took it to the wrong shop. I would recommend you take your car to a transmission shop with mechanics that can troubleshoot and repair your problem.

Ronnie, 

thanks for your response... the mechanic is great at working with me. I am the only reason, he does not just jump into the repairs. I prefer, checking with other Reatta owners to see if anyone has had similar problems before turning him loose. I want to keep my car original as much as possible, ( meaning, I order my repair parts, rather than use napa, auto zone, etc. ) This is my second mechanic since I owned my Reatta of almost 10 years.... he is great at jumping on a vehicle and getting it out the door.... if I had not read the page where others had similar problems we would not be stuck.... but now I can't find it ... I think it mentioned a sensor mounted on top of the transmission .

I see. Did your mechanic have any suggestions about what might be wrong?  There is a speed sensor on top of the transmission but I don't think it would effect how the transmission shifts on a '90 model.   It could possibly keep the torque converter from locking up but that dosen't explain the symptoms you experienced with the transmission not shifting.

Sometimes the connector for the shift cable breaks, but if it later worked then this is not the case. Just as a side question, how is your battery holding up. There is so much electrical on these cars you may have a side issue related or not related to the transmission. The 1991 Reatta has more electricals built in the tranny.

How does the transmission fluid look/smell?

Could be just a coincidence. You could try checking and cleaning the connection behind the Instrument cluster. There is a tutorial on Ronnie's web site.

No clue on the tranny if everything checks out.

Here is a guess as to what may have happened to your transmission. 

It appears that some, but not all, transmissions had the governor and the speed sensor driven by a common shaft. If something happened inside the transmission that stopped the shaft from turning (perhaps something broke)  the speed sensor would stop sending a signal for the speedometer. Also the transmission governor not turning would prevent the transmission from working properly.

Screenshot-AutomaticTransaxle-Governor.png

Thank you Ronnie .  I think this is the area, that somehow malfunctioned. I didn't know the Reatta had a governor, but what I experienced was like the governor being thrown into full acceleration. When I pushed down on the brake is when I heard the ping sound, followed by the transmission unengaged in high and overdrive. I I am going to remove the governor assembly first and see if anything is broken on it. I also plan to check the transmission shiftier cable, I read 1990 had a recall on this cable .  If the problem is inside the transmission, I may look at replacing the unit. So weird, that my transmission has always been so smooth, with zero indications of a problem. 

Fordrodsteven had an issue of sorts similar to this maybe he will weigh in. However if I remember it was when he was rebuilding the tranny.

• Like 1