Streetcars (and cars) of Omaha

Ron42Dodge

This film appears to have been shot in the late 40s and explains the development and operation of the streecars in omaha.  I am sharing it to this site as there are plenty of old cars driving around trying to get out of the way of the streetcars. And most is in color.  Let me know if it doesn't belong here and I will be happy to remove it.  

• Like 1

Fascinating. Of great interest to those of us who grew up there, so thanks for posting! I can't watch all of it now, but I'll definitely get back to see the rest. Interesting that so many of these shots are from the mid-fifties. I was born in the late fifties, but have no recollection of Omaha's street cars.  I just missed that era. I do vaguely remember some of the businesses, though. The Spot Bar sign on Ames is something I'm pretty sure I've seen before, but by the time I was of drinking age, that wasn't a part of town you went to. The Metz (bakery, I think) banners on the trolley cars reminded me of my parents talking about that business.

The car clips are awesome, especially in color. There's a stunning step down Hudson early on in the film. That got me to thinking - who was the Hudson dealer in Omaha in the early fifties? (Another era I missed by the late 1950's.)  And does anyone know who sold Crosleys in town at that time?