1903 Grout steamer

We're restoring our Grout, now second generation owned. It was completely original when my father-in-law bought it from Harry Hopewell. Had a few repairs and a different engine in in 1980 - to complete the London to Brighton run, and the start of a bigger boiler put in in 2010 when a deep sway back was discovered. I guess it is to be expected after more than 100 years and a solid wood frame and body. The picture is the car pre-restoration. We are far along on the mechanical part but I've run into some back story problems, mostly that almost everyone who was directly involved with this car from it's start is gone now. I'm looking for information. Does anyone have old bullitens where Harry may have talked about his car after the war?  It was also housed in Mr. Gould's Meredith, NH museum for the 50's. 

FB_IMG_1521069959786.jpg

1106161418_HDR.jpg

1106161522_HDR.jpg

1126161723b_HDR.jpg

0707181451a.jpg

Edited by 1903Grout
More pics (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The car from Orange Mass..........as a local, back in the sixties and seventies there were several running around at the steam meets on Cape Cod, and one would expect to see them at the local AACA shows more often than not. 

With family living in Brookfield, I’m sure I have seen this car at the Orange Airport meet back in the old days, was it stored in a white barn on Rt. 32? If so, I may know some locals who knew the car. It took me thirty years to find the 1930  Marmon eight Conv Coupe that also use to attend the same meet. Fond memories of my early car adventures with family members now long gone.......