Hershey vandalism

Hershey was great again, Thurs/Fri/Sat rain notwithstanding. The folks who put this whole thing together do an amazing job and my hat is off to every one of them, including the local folks who are indirectly involved. Thanks to each and every one.

Unfortunately, some person or persons were apparently a little bored and took their frustrations out on my 1985 GMC pickup that I just repainted last spring. It was legally parked on my space at WM-2 Friday evening when someone decided to squirt a bottle of ketchup all over the driver's side from windshield to tailgate. It was pretty well hardened by Saturday morning when I found it. While cleaning that off, I discovered that someone, maybe the same one(s), had done $500 damage to the passenger door by "keying" two deep gouges its entire width. Whoever did it had to squeeze into a gap about a foot wide between the door and the canopy it was parked next to. Yes, I am sure that it wasn't there before and the door didn't hit the canopy itself or anything else. I take good care of this truck which is why it looks much newer than its 18 years and 300,000 miles. If anyone knows anything I'd sure appreciate the information. Not that I could do anything but I'd just feel better. frown.giffrown.gif

I looked through the info packet and couldn't find any prohibition against vandalism of anything except that which belongs to HERCO. In future it might make the big-head-little-wit among us think twice about creating his own fun at someone else's expense if they could lose their own spaces as a result of either doing this themselves or failing to keep their kids under control.

Thanks for letting me vent. Hope next year's better for y'all.

Best regards

R.V. Anderson

Hi R.-

I've been thinking about your damaged truck since you called me over to look at it on Saturday, and I've come up with a scenario that may explain what happened. Your truck was parked on your space, next to your tent and close to the grass/mud road. My guess is that someone was trying to bull his way out through the mud on Friday night, got miffed because your truck made the exit a little dicey, and on his way by he let you know his feelings with the ketchup. The scratches on your door looked to me like damage from someone trying to squeeze between your truck and your tent while carrying a fender or other large part- probably on Saturday morning. In order to prevent damage to my own truck, I had just moved my trailer down to the corner of my truck and your tent to close the hole where people were cutting through to avoid the mud. It would have been decent for the person to owe up to his carelessness, but I don't think the door scratches were done maliciously.

See you next year-

G.

I hope so, G. An accident is just that but if it wasn't I'd like to know if anyone knows anything. Even if it was it'd be nice to hear the perp simply say "sorry." I can fix the damage but I think that for me I just need my faith in Hersheyites re-polished.

Sorry my bro. and I didn't get a chance to say "so long till next year" but it's good to see that you've apparently made it back OK. All vendors should be so lucky to have you as a Hershey neighbor. Best of luck till '03 big guy!!

:>)

I'm sorry to hear what happened to your truck. To me when someone takes something out on someone else's vehicle, that is the coward's way out and that says little of the person doing that (intentional or not). As much as some people complain about the "trailer queens" it is unfortunate acts like this that cause people to be that way with their vehicles and trailer everything. I realize that in your case, your truck wasn't a show truck, but a paint job doesn't cost any less on a daily driver than what it does on a show vehicle and it all hurts the same. I hope the guilty individual involved is adult enough to come forward.