I have my 55 Olds for sale in Hemmings. I just got an Email from "Stephen Edwards" referencing my Olds, (obviously culled from Hemmings ads,)  directing my attention to his web site. He will sell my car for the asking price in CASH. He will do everything from inspection, to paper work, to shipping. All I have to do is sit back and count the CASH. He has 937 foreign clients that are clamoring for exactly my car and have CASH. Once I send him a $199.00 "registration fee" all I have to do is wait (not too long either) for the CASH.

I'm kind of bummed though. I must have left my check book behind when I fell off of the turnip truck. Oh well my loss I guess. I sure would have liked that CASH............Bob

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have my 55 Olds for sale in Hemmings. I just got an Email from "Stephen Edwards" referencing my Olds, (obviously culled from Hemmings ads,)  directing my attention to his web site. He will sell my car for the asking price in CASH. He will do everything from inspection, to paper work, to shipping. All I have to do is sit back and count the CASH. He has 937 foreign clients that are clamoring for exactly my car and have CASH. Once I send him a $199.00 "registration fee" all I have to do is wait (not too long either) for the CASH.

I'm kind of bummed though. I must have left my check book behind when I fell off of the turnip truck. Oh well my loss I guess. I sure would have liked that CASH............Bob

Not a scam ... just capitalism.

If you want Stephen's service send him $199, if you don't want Stephen's service don't send him any money.

1 hour ago, 1950panhead said:

Not a scam ... just capitalism.

I'll have to disagree:  It sounds shady.

If there are really 937 foreign clients who want

that particular Oldsmobile--and there aren't--they

can just as easily reach the Hemmings website on their own.

Proper capitalism must be accompanied by honesty.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 5

His Email was mixed in with others offering legal cannabis gummy bears, male enhancement pills, and cures for baldness. I did answer Mr. Edwards Email. I said his service sounded just GREAT and as soon as he deposited $199 in my Paypal account we could get rolling. Still waiting to hear back.........Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well, you could send me the $199 and I can tell you the same thing that Steven Edwards will probably tell you, "I'm trying to sell your car, but there isn't any interest in your car as of yet". If you don't want to invest the $199 in this scam, I have a nice bridge in NY that you can invest in. Just sit back and wait till all the toll money starts rolling in, P.S. don't send me a check, cash will do.

• Like 1

Mr Edwards informs me that the folks in foreign countries are cashing out their stocks and bonds and "investing" in safe harbors like antique cars (cars just like mine).

I also should not pay attention to any one "bad mouthing" him. They are just trying to eliminate their competition.

I feel better now.

I wonder if he would take the $199 in CASH...................Bob

• Like 1

Steven Edwards Company

Principal and owner..........Edward Cullen

DBA...........WorldwideinvestmentsCars

POB .........LasVegas, NV

Business category..........Digital Advertising

BBB.............Not accredited

Who knows? Scam? Not a scam?..................Think I'll keep my $199............Bob

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I understand passing on the car sale. But the gummies, enhancement pills and a thicker head of hair?

Actually I miss - quoted the hair growth part. Seems it was part of the male enhancement pitch. They really didn't mention the scalp area....................Bob

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, 61-63 said:

I just delete emails like that and hang up immediately on all of the extended warranty, credit card service, medical insurance, etc. etc. calls I get.  Wife does the same.

Emails I usually do just delete. Phone sales calls I sometimes try to see how long I can feign interest, then ineptitude (gee sorry I'm sure my credit card is here somewhere, "HONEY DID YOU SEE OUR MASTER CARD") then forgetfulness, ("could say that first part again"), finally asking about the, ahem, habits of their mothers and the family dog.

They seldom call back..............Bob

4 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Steven Edwards Company

Principal and owner..........Edward Cullen

DBA...........WorldwideinvestmentsCars

POB .........LasVegas, NV

Business category..........Digital Advertising

BBB.............Not accredited

Who knows? Scam? Not a scam?..................Think I'll keep my $199............Bob

I have never seen the movies, but my 13-year-old son informs me that "Edward Cullen" is the vampire that sparkles in the "Twilight" vampire movies.

I just hope that no one falls for this scam. Once he does the "inspection" of your car, he has all your VIN numbers. He can file for a lost title and in some states it's easy to get a new one. There are all sorts of loose ends with this ad, including not knowing if anyone is actually bidding on your car. Some years ago there was some guy that specialized at selling Woodie Station Wagons. Send him all your info and he does all the work. Well, he wound up in federal prison for selling the same cars, multiple times. Of course he won't be able to sell your car, but you will most likely need to hire an attorney just to clear things up.

I should point out that this is not necessarily a scam, per se. I don't much like the methodology he's using by soliciting guys selling their cars on Hemmings and eBay, but my services are also $199. For that, I take care of the sale of the car,  advertising, photography, logistics, title work, and I'm definitely not scamming anyone. Of course, the cars come to my facility, I have a copy of the title with data that matches the car and the owner, the numbers line up, and I'm authorized to sell the car without secondary negotiations with the seller. That's essentially what $199 buys you at my shop. Drop it off, give me $199, and collect a check a few weeks later if everything goes well. There are other dealers/brokers on this board who do much the same thing and they are well-respected. Not necessarily a scam.

That said, I don't solicit sellers to consign their cars, but there are plenty of outfits who do. There are also plenty of consignment dealers who will consign your car without having ever seen it (in fact, one of the largest Full Classic car brokers in the business sells almost all of his cars without ever having seen or touched them himself). There are guys who buy ads in bulk and just take your photos and description and spread them around the internet, which I think is of dubious value, but there's no shortage of those fellows. I think not having first-hand knowledge of a car can cause all sorts of headaches for buyer, seller, and dealer, but it's certainly not unique or scammy. I won't personally sell a car I haven't seen, touched, and driven, but then again, I don't have complaints or call-backs on the cars I sell. That's for purely selfish reasons--I just don't want to deal with irate buyers.

I don't know the details of this particular person, but I did just want to point out that having professional [sic] assistance selling your car isn't necessarily a bad thing nor an unsavory practice that should always be suspect. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)