upholestry for buick 1949 super convertible

Selim

Hello,as Dan O says Lebaron Bonney has a kit for the 49 I believe my car has a LB kit that was put in my car before I bought it. I also bought the top from ARO 2000 but haven’t installed it yet.The Super have two styles of upholstery,a cloth and leather combination on seats and a leather seat similar to a Roadmaster.LB makes both but color are limited to red or black.Most surviving or restored cars seem to have the red no matter what the body color is .Both LB and ARO will send samples on request.Good luck on your Buick.Gary

6CDCBFA8-9E05-43C5-A2B7-4E0206BB4990.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Older post I know but I was scrolling through the posts as it's a slow Saturday at work today and snce  Betty The Buick needs interior this caught my eye.  I Googled LeBarron Bonney and came across this.  How very sad!

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/03/22/upholstery-supplier-lebaron-bonney-files-for-chapter-7-bankruptcy/

Edited by WendyDee (see edit history)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 1:31 AM, Selim said:

any tip for a place to buy ready made upholstery for my car that could b installed immediately? any suggestion for upholstery generally speaking?

thanks 

Unfortunately, we have cars that are not often restored when compared to the Chevrolet's of the 50's.  There are GREAT uphostery shops out there that can recreate your intierior, you will just need to be patient.  I was quoted $10,000+ for a scratch built inteior on the 47 Buick I purchased.  I found a decent used interior for half that.  Most kits I saw were close to 8k.  Good luck.

I purchased ready made interior from Autocrafters and it is beautiful.  Ready made with foam backing, Installed it myself and it was easy, door materials were foam backed and oversized. I chose burgundy to go with my Sequoia Cream exterior. Bought a black top from The Convertible Top Guys and installed it myself, very happy.  Interior was under 500.00 and top about the same.

That’s the good news, I tried to find Autocrafters and believe they were bought by Lebanon Bonny (which raised prices a lot) and now I believe they are both gone. I think their workers  were retiring and could not find skilled replacements. By the way the interior material I believe is called Plethera, looks like leather, very soft. I believe McDonalds used it on there booths a few years ago.

Good Luck! Please share what you decide.

Old post, I know, but if you are still in need I recommend contacting Hill Jenkins. He took over his dad's antique car upholstery and top business, Jenkins Interiors, located in North Wilksboro North Carolina. He may have what you need. Good luck!

http://www.jenkins-interiors.com

Phone: 336-902-0717 or 336-667-4282

Email: music_man_jetliner@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...
Hi Mohamed, a complete leather interior for 49 Buick 56C would be the kick panels, door panels, windlaces, rear quarter panel covers, front seat cover, back of front seat out back covers, and the rear seat covers! All done in the correct color leathers for 1949. The cost of the kit is $8995.00 + $250.00 boxing, packing and UPS shipping to NY . What color is the interior you are needing?
Thanks much!

If all the panels ,seat backs,etc. are leather,it would actually be over restoration, on original interior only the top seat areas are leather, the rest is done with what is basically painted cloth like material, most restorations use vinyl for a less costly substitute that didn’t exist when car was new. Even on most new cars ,leather is usually used on seating surfaces only.

81BC37CD-510F-4B0D-B56B-4A77EB029D10.jpeg

I took my old crusty door panels to a Mexican guy in SW Houston and he reproduced them for about $75 each.  They look very nice.  Not perfect material match but very close.

Did LeBarron Bonny get bought out by some other company?  Surely they did not just pitch it all in the trash.

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I took my old crusty door panels to a Mexican guy in SW Houston and he reproduced them for about $75 each.  They look very nice.  Not perfect material match but very close.

Did LeBarron Bonny get bought out by some other company?  Surely they did not just pitch it all in the trash.

Will do the same with local maker here

only one problem 

can’t find those metal thing on back of front seats as shown in pics

15CC640D-CF61-49BF-A08A-85FB91F8B064.jpeg

1 hour ago, Selim said:

Will do the same with local maker here

only one problem 

can’t find those metal thing on back of front seats as shown in pics

15CC640D-CF61-49BF-A08A-85FB91F8B064.jpeg

Those are called robe cord escutcheons...looks like one on my 55's and maybe other period GM cars.

• Like 1

i found couple of them on ebay but only one! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1949-Buick-Robe-Cord-End-Escutcheon/312885490750?hash=item48d96db43e:g:MB0AAOSwWkdd8W~U

is there a shop where i can buy them 2 pairs? not necessarily NOS , any reproduction would do. even it is not buick! just wanna get them asap in order for upholestry guy to work on them

would those fit my car? they r for later buick models

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=4605687P

thanks

Edited by Selim (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Get the ones from Fusick.  The Ebay items will cost more $$ and over a month to get chromed.  No one will notice any difference (if any).

u r absolutely right . Just did buy them from fusick