Gas Monkey Boat Tail for SEMA

Chimera

1 hour ago, johnrex said:

Richard has been banned for all design decisions for the last couple of years per the local Dallas car builders.

I stopped watching that show because I felt that it became nothing more than a vehicle for Richard's over inflated ego.  Who cares about him hobnobbing at some exclusive auction with a glass of champagne in one hand going in search of someone to stroke this ego.  Time was much better spent watching Aaron  doing some work on a car.  Aaron got smart long before everyone else - he moved on.

That richard guy showed up on a hot rod forum I go to about 12 years ago or so. Bragging about how he was building cars and selling them. If I remember correctly, some members ran in the same circles, and called him out and proved he was buying local built cars, then saying he built them, and flipping them online. A complete lying con artist.

2 hours ago, jsgun said:

"Counts Kustoms" from whatever show built a boat tail for himself, it has one of the most amazing black and silver lowrider paintjobs i've ever seen. Absolutely love that car. That guy seems to actually build stuff.

He sold that car to a guy in Maryland. Didn't really want to, but he was thinning his collection. Price was not really discussed, but 100k was bantered around and the guy didn't flinch.

Edited by steelman (see edit history)

I really like the large sweeping lines, and silver with black fades looks incredible. I'm pushing around ideas using long curved lines, but filling in the spaces in between with geometrics. All in shades of dark blues.

My big plan for my riv is a Larry Watson style panel paint job, in medium and dark blue metallics.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KongaMan said:

That car looks like a guy with prison tattoos.

That paint job made me remember the most common question asked to Craigslist sellers: "Do you have the original wheels?"- How many coats of clear between the black and that other stuff?

I did watch the 26 minute video of the guy "posing" with tools and welding on a thumbnail size patch. At 100 bucks an hour or more that's going to be a high dollar car. Oh, I watched it with the sound off and fast forwarded quite a bit.

Did you hear prison tattoos are declining? The inmates don't want the stigma of looking like TV personalities.

Bernie

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Who would have thought these guys would have questionable taste?

newstalgia1.jpg

Ensmallified so that it doesn't offend casual viewers. Click to embiggenate. You've been warned, don't blame me if your eyes burn out of your head.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

That boat tail is AMAZING! i really like what he did with the back window. Giving it a split window sting ray look. Truly a piece of art on wheels! 

From what I can see, the "split window" is painted on the rear glass.  The original rear window moldings go right across the splitter. 

I've also abandoned watching 'Gas Monkey' for similar reasons as Ed stated.  My absolute favorite Motor Trend show is Full Custom Garage.  I can watch the same episode 10 times over and it still amazes me what Ian Roussel does with metal.  ;)

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/show/full-custom-garage/118496402/

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmTee said:

I've also abandoned watching 'Gas Monkey' for similar reasons as Ed stated.  My absolute favorite Motor Trend show is Full Custom Garage.  I can watch the same episode 10 times over and it still amazes me what Ian Roussel does with metal.  

Plus Ian's on screen buddy doesn't always make cute comments about everything that's been said. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:36 AM, EmTee said:

I've also abandoned watching 'Gas Monkey' for similar reasons as Ed stated.  My absolute favorite Motor Trend show is Full Custom Garage.  I can watch the same episode 10 times over and it still amazes me what Ian Roussel does with metal.  ;)

I recently stumbled across that show. The guy seems quite talented and reasonably modest. It's almost as if he's just really in to cars. 

R

12 minutes ago, drhach said:

I recently stumbled across that show. The guy seems quite talented and reasonably modest. It's almost as if he's just really in to cars. 

You might be thinking of Aaron, the guy who actually has the mechanical talent.  Not Richard.

They are calling it the "Battleship Buick."

Kinda boring IMO. They went with "Battleship" gray, yet its still just a boring gray...

I give Richard props for recognizing that a boat tail had the body lines of a super car.

Also, I personally don't like splitting the bumper on the Boat Tails. Maybe some other treatment that brings the grill across the lights and modifying the bumper some other way would have been a winner. 

1231756128_ScreenShot2019-08-12at12_44_15PM.png.3fd83fee16b43f6c15fcdf0f46c76649.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Shoehorn in a LS whatever, paint it gray and lower it.  Done. Sigh.....

Pretty typical.  Stick in a Chevy for which there is a pletora of parts.  Why not go with something a little more exotic; say a V10 Viper engine - under that big rear glass.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 6:36 AM, EmTee said:

I've also abandoned watching 'Gas Monkey' for similar reasons as Ed stated.

Good day.

I share similar sentiments, and usually only watch the show (Gas Monkey) while I'm waiting for the commercials to end on something else I'm watching.

For what it's worth, I agree that that boat-tail is pretty darn amazing.

Although maybe a little/lot off-topic, I was recently in Las Vegas, and we needed to kill a few hours one morning so we went by the Welderup shop (show = Vegas Rat Rods) Had the opportunity to chat with the owner - Steve Darnell. A very cool guy, and very knowledgeable about Canada (sometimes a rarity when we travel south, yes we have trees...), hence he was willing to talk to us a bit more.

Among other topics, we talked a little about car build shows on TV, and apparently, himself, Danny "Count" Koker, (Counting Cars- Count's Customs) and Richard Rawlings (Fast 'n Loud-Gas Monkey) are looking to collaborate on a new show of sorts for Discovery. He didn't provide much in the way of details, still very preliminary, so far all I know, I'm simply spreading vicious rumours. But if it does happen, we can at least say we heard it here first...😉

The bad news, or good news, for me, depending on how one looks at it, I recently just purchased a digital TV antenna, (still in the box) and we are planning to cut our cable TV, (if we can ever spend less than two hours on hold with the cable company) so I may never know either way about their show... 

...ya, at the end of the day, it's probably good news tho'...😊

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

Pretty typical.  Stick in a Chevy for which there is a pletora of parts.  Why not go with something a little more exotic; say a V10 Viper engine - under that big rear glass.

For me, SEMA is not always about horsepower.  It's craftsmanship and attention to detail.  Outstanding paint and finish.  A new idea such as a mid engine that you suggested.  But, in the usual fashion for these types of programs there is the "deadline" that distracts and makes watching less enjoyable.  The LT engine will be the focal point of this build. Shame really because Gas Monkey did not build it. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

I think he was talking about Ian on Full Custom Garage.  He is great.

Yes I was. I tried watching that other show (Gas Monkey) and couldn't even make it through one episode. Complete garbage.

One of my favorite shows on Motor Trend is Iron Resurrection. This guy seems to do it all; draw, fabricate, whatever. Also, there is a minimum of drama and bitching, which makes it more appealing to me. I would just like the story on the custom '64 Riv he has that is in the title credits and pops up in the show background all the time, yet no one discusses it or seems to drive it.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:20 PM, RivNut said:

Pretty typical.  Stick in a Chevy for which there is a pletora of parts.

Change the scene to a hot rod garage and add tattoos (script is fine); which cable car show? Didn't the guy on the ground quite and start his own show?

2 hours ago, jframe said:

One of my favorite shows on Motor Trend is Iron Resurrection. This guy seems to do it all; draw, fabricate, whatever. Also, there is a minimum of drama and bitching, which makes it more appealing to me. I would just like the story on the custom '64 Riv he has that is in the title credits and pops up in the show background all the time, yet no one discusses it or seems to drive it.

Saw this car at Good Guys in Ft Worth a few years ago. Took a few pictures that I don't have access to right now. Was not sure who it belonged to. I knew from watching some of the older biker build-off shows that Joe Martin had a 64, but it was white with primer spots then. Then Iron Resurrection comes out, and I see this great looking 64 and it all comes together. That was the Riviera I fell in love with at Good Guys. Owned by Joe Martin from Martin Bros Customs.

https://www.martinbroscustoms.com/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...