1956 AIR CONDITIONING

DJP1956

I have a 1956 Buick Special and I'm installing factory air conditioning. I am looking for anybody that has information on where to get the under dash control plastic face plate restored or if there is a after market one out there?? I have rebuilt the control but the black face plate is some what faded and the Buick Emblem is bent in some and has lost the blue and gold color it came with. any help would be appreciated.

IMG_2573.JPG

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

As it is a very rare part - my advice is to tape off chrome and plastic polish it - Then keep an eye open for a better one over time - perhaps one will show up on ebay.    Perhaps if you can get it appear then from  backside you may be able to carefully scrape off  the  blue and gold and repaint - I stay off of the black though if it is on the backside of the plastic verses the chrome casting.  

43 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

hi DJP1956, there is on ebay for your consideration, item 302788663338, a used 1956 buick A/C control panel assembly like yours.

Thanks much ill check it out, did't see it the other day but this stuff pops up all the time. tks DJP1956

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DJP1956 said:

Yes thanks, i have two of these and the best one is about as good as that one, i will polish and paint the logo.

that's good, i have three of the 1954-55 buick a/c control panels, i think the 54 panel had one more fan speed than the 55's did. don't know if i told you, i'm adding a 55 buick roadmaster riviera factory rear a/c trunk unit to my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina, the buick unit will be grafted to the 1954 pontiac star chief up front in dash factory a/c. i'll be able to operate the rear, or the front, or both units at the same time, by having two control panels, the pontiac and the buick.

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0008.JPG

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are next no repros for these. There just aren't enough of them to warrant the money and effort for someone to set up to do this. The design is a '56 only, like a few other things on the car. I know, as I've owned a '56 Roadmaster with factory air for 40+ years. However, if I was to be wrong, I love to know where.

If it was a Chevy, likely there would be a repro.

Good luck with your '56!

Post some pictures, too.

Keith