C-1 (1953-1962) Corvette help needed

capngrog

I have a car based on a stock C-1 Corvette frame and suspension; however, somewhere in its life, the rear suspension radius rods and their mounting brackets were removed.   Under spirited acceleration, the car experiences severe axle wrap and wheel hop which sooner or later will cause something expensive to break.  I know, I know, I could just drive the thing like Granny, but then what would have been the point of all that pondering, wrenching and cussing (when things go amiss)?  All of the needed parts are available on line (e.g. Zip Corvettes), but they are expensive, and the radius rod support (see the below illustration) would need to be modified.  I'm in the design phase of coming up with a radius rod system (I'm not a fan of traction bars) and would like to keep the geometry of my "fix" as close to stock as possible.  To that end, I need some information on the dimensions of the three key pieces of the C-1 Corvette radius rod system.  If anyone on this forum has a C-1 Corvette (1953-1962) I would very much appreciate the following information:  1) The length of the radius rod, center-to-center of the mounting holes;  2)  The height of the center of the mounting hole of the radius rod support above the top of the frame rail;  3)  The height of the center of the mounting hole of the radius rod axle bracket above the top (O.D.) of the rear axle housing.

1676761313_C-1RadiusRod2.gif.37e4c7612edde55bb068583221b78ac9.gif

I realize that obtaining these measurements will require some effort, but that effort will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Grog

Using a tape measure and not putting it on the lift I got a radius rod length of 18 1/4 The mounting measurements at front frame top to center of bolt 1 1/2, and 2" at the rear measuring from between the brake backing plate and the u bolt.

Next time on the lift I can get more precise measurements but it may be a little while.

Dave

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)

Dave,

Thank you very much for the information.  Using a combination of ratios derived from on line photographs and applying those ratios to known dimensions taken from my C-1 chassis, I was able to come up with figures very close to those you provided.  With your help, I'm now in the "ballpark" dimension-wise, which should be sufficient for what I'm trying to accomplish.  Thanks again.

Cheers,

Grog

Roger,

Thanks for the link.  I was able to look at that Corvette Forum this morning, and it has so much information available that It may take me some time to find the information I'm looking for.  I was going to register/join the Forum, but their list of disclaimers was more than I cared to deal with on a Saturday morning.  I may join in the future and use their search function after posting my question.  The AACA General Discussion Forum remains my "Go To" source for automotive information.  The folks on this site have an incredible wealth of knowledge which they are more than willing to share with dummkopfs like me.

Cheers,

Grog

11 minutes ago, 1950panhead said:

That's the site where I obtained the pricing information and the diagram included with my original post.  Thanks for verifying my source.

Cheers,

Grog

Grog,

Now you've peaked my interest, show us  a picture of the contraption you're working on.

In our town there is a 62 Corvette with the front crashed off with a pickup bed liner partially

covering it.   And a owner who won't sell or part it out.  It's been in his yard as long as I 

can remember.  (I posted a picture in another thread last year, and somebody wanted to

buy the bed liner)  Good luck in your project

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:16 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Grog,

Now you've peaked my interest, show us  a picture of the contraption you're working on.

Here are a couple of pictures of what truly is a "contraption".  It's a 1952 Crosley pickup on top of a 1962 Corvette.  The frame, suspension, steering, cooling etc. are all '62 'Vette, and all of the body sheet metal, interior, seats etc. are stock '52 Crosley.  The engine is a 350 sbc block with a 307 crank, making it a "big journal" 327.  The transmission is a four speed.  It aint no race car, but it sure is a FUN (Fast, Ugly, Noisy) ride.  It wouldn't, by any stretch of the spirit of inclusiveness, be welcomed any where near an AACA event ... well, maybe a LeMons show.  I welded up a trailer hitch receiver and use the FUN to tow my stock 1950 Crosley station wagon to some very local car shows.  The rig tows great ... as long as I don't get into a situation requiring backing up.

Anyway, the FUN photos:

IMG_0650.thumb.JPG.8061eabdead7a7bdef8ee64d32932cb9.JPG

IMG_0649.thumb.JPG.2f7c51cf76da62f65881c6ae319f59aa.JPG

Cheers,

Grog

Edited by capngrog
added a missing word (see edit history)

You won me over with the hood ornament! :lol:

Corvette forum is a great place for info exchange. I've been a member since inception Feb. 1999. (Wow! I just realized that's 20 years this month!) I was one of the original moderators there.

I wasn't aware that the sign up process had become so bogged down with legal crapola. I'm sure if you can get through it and sign up, you'll find a wealth of info and friendly help there.

G.