Small Two Cylinder Timeline

Jim Dix

I have had a 1910 Model AA two cylinder runabout for a couple years. I have read all the information that I have been able to find, original and modern on the cars.

Nowhere have I been able to find a time line to identify the changes thru the time period even from the the introduction of the Model A in "1909" until the two cylinders were discontinued.

I have picked up the 1909 had a square tool box as opposed to the tapered one used later. The later cars, (1911 on?) had a taller radiator neck. Sometime along I understand the brakes were changed, but don't know what was done or when. There were less visable changes such as the addition of the magneto. The colors changed thru the years from red to blue, and apparently the trim color changed with the blue.

I have seen or heard little about the serial numbers thru the years and what I have seen is confusing, perhaps serial numbers were assigned without regard for models.

That about sums up my ability to make a timeline.

Is there anyone out there that can help out? Does any information exist in the MoPar archives?

The best information I have seen is the article by Jim Zordich in the Nov. Dec 1976 Gazette. I have found no serial # listings. They are getting together a Maxwell Registery. This will list serial numbers. If you haven't given them your information e-mail me. Leroy Francies leroyf@cwnet.com

• 2 weeks later...

I have received a response from Merle Simonsma, who is having trouble with the latest revision of the forum. His response is as follows:

"Jim, you're right, the '11 AB had the taller neck. The straight side tool box was used on the '09 Jr. and the '09 A. Cast brake shoes were last used on the '10 AA and then changed to pressed steel shoes. Magnitos came on the '09 LD and used on '10 AA thru '12 AC. Merle"

I have the issue of the "Gazette" mentioned above and it is indeed a much better history of the Maxwell - Briscoe company, but still a bit short on evolution of the cars. Colors are well covered in the artical.