1922-23 Dodge Bros. Sidescreen question

alsfarms

With all the chat about the differences of the Dodge roadsters found on this forum.  I thought to ask for some specific information about the sidescreen style.  I had the thought that the front of the sidescreen was based on a touring cowl and doors.  Is that a correct assumption?

Al

Hello,  I have heard so much about the similarities and differences between the Sidescreen and touring cars.  Could you measure your screenside door and I will compare with my 1923 Dodge touring front doors.  Could you also take a picture of the quarter panel behind the door?

Al

Hello Jan, I am going to deviate from the subject of 1923 Dodge Screenside and comment about your having a nice collection of veteran cars and then a VW Rabbit.  Is the Rabbit a diesel?  They are certainly unique for something modern.  I have a friend that ran the wheels off two of these Rabbits.  He used them simply as a commuter car as he lived 60 miles from work one way.  Now back to the subject of Dodge screenside measurements and pictures.  I am still in the build mode for my Screenside project and am lacking the quarter panels and back panel for my truck.  I do have the front 1/2 of an original 1923 Screenside and have enough parts to rebuild the back 1/2 of the chassis.  I have extra touring doors and the "C" sides of the cab, just not cab lower quarter panels and the back of the cab.  I don't have a pick-up box and may just build mine as a flat bed, unless I run across a good bed at a price I can afford. 

Al

Check the hinges, I think you will find them to be cast and skinny on the '23 Screenside and stamped steel and wide on the touring. I believe the tops of the doors are integral with the door on the touring car and screwed on separate piece on the Screenside. Distance between the hinges is different too.

Hello And thanks for the pictures and measurements.  I will compare your door opening with my touring car and see if they are the same.  My cut down sidescreen project came with a running engine and front half of the frame with the factory fuel tank still in place under the seat.  That was my first hint that I actually have a screenside not a passenger car.  I also have the cowl which was cut in the middle of the door opening.  I have enough spare frame pieces and a rear end to build the chassis back to stock.  I think I may have a spare windshield assembly and doors.  I am weak on front fenders, cab quarter panels and back panel.  I do have the hinged back rest brackets and the back panel of the cab.  My touring doors appear to be the same as what would fit your screenside door opening at 20".  I was hoping that a touring center section would be wide enough to modify as is.  That is not the case.  I would need to locate two center sections to get enough body skin material in order to build the proper quarter panels.  I can see now that knowing the out to out measurement, of the body at the back corners would help me have the overall rear body width.  Jan could you measure across the back of your body?  Looking for 1923 front fenders, quarter panels and cab back panel, (or I will be building them).

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I was wrong! I looked at my 23 screenside cowl and it does indeed have the later wide hinges and will be able to use 20-23 touring car doors. To be correct they would have outside handles. I also talked to my friend that has a '23 screenside complete and running for many years and his has the same later hinges and doors. So, I stand corrected!

• Like 1