Hubert_25-25

1925 Buick Standard Barn Raising

Attached is a photo of the metal bracket which holds the rear of the hood at the center pivot.  Kevin Roner made this part for me as mine was missing.  I have since found an original - rusty one- for reference.  What I noticed during hood installation was that the factory hood fit at the rear was rather poor.  Too much gap between the rear of the hood and the cowl trim.  I had to put an S shape into the hood pivot to allow me to move the hood back further and get a really good looking hood line.  This photo shows the added bend that I put into the bracket.  About a 1/8" bend.  The bent bracket on the left.  The original flat bracket on the right.     

A note about fitting the hood.  It is easier to fit the top of the hood first without the louvers.  After the top fit is good,  install the side louvers using a slightly smaller sized wire in the hinge for the louvers.  Once all the parts look good, replace the side louver wire with the correct size.    Hugh

IMG_8184.thumb.JPG.2e43e644804939910569329103dc6502.JPG

• Like 3

Hugh,

What an impressive restoration. I would love to see that car in person some day!

Before and after pics are great! I’m jealous of your front brakes!

All the best! 

JBuick,  

Thank you.  I am still working my way toward being able to show the car.  At least now I no longer have to push it.  1924 was a step change at Buick.  Raising the height of the radiator in the model change and adding front brakes.  

I just finished pinstriping the car yesterday.  My pinstripe procedure is below.   I posted my wheel pinstriping procedure earlier.  I also have my replated bumpers on the car.  My headlight reflectors have been sent off.   I was hoping to get a photo outside, but the garage door spring broke so the car stays inside until later in the week.       Hugh

IMG_8187.thumb.JPG.cd4fcf39e947994aa8a295ed8cc4254d.JPG

Pinstriping.thumb.JPG.0e831868018d6ed9577f0ace0e6a09d6.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

aAttached is a photo of the metal bracket which holds the rear of the hood at the center pivot.  Kevin Roner made this part for me as mine was missing.  I have since found an original - rusty one- for reference.  What I noticed during hood installation was that the factory hood fit at the rear was rather poor.  Too much gap between the rear of the hood and the cowl trim.  I had to put an S shape into the hood pivot to allow me to move the hood back further and get a really good looking hood line.  This photo shows the added bend that I put into the bracket.  About a 1/8" bend.  The bent bracket on the left.  The original flat bracket on the right.     

A note about fitting the hood.  It is easier to fit the top of the hood first without the louvers.  After the top fit is good,  install the side louvers using a slightly smaller sized wire in the hinge for the louvers.  Once all the parts look good, replace the side louver wire with the correct size.    Hugh

IMG_8184.thumb.JPG.2e43e644804939910569329103dc6502.JPG

Hugh:

As I told you my rear hinge support was missing when I got my car. I had made one out of aluminum and it did the job for a while. Since I had my Master in the garage next to this car I removed that hinge support to duplicate it. I left the flat section a bit heavy and found that it too would not let the hood come back far enough. The riveted receiver on the cowl was a bit bent. I had to straighten it and try to drive it back a bit. I ended up also grinding off the back side of the support which would be the same as you having to bend yours.

Things seem to fit nicely now.

• Like 1

The front bumper looks great! I see you did highlight the bracket faces like mine. I chose not to have mine plated because the steel plates were so very wavy. They must have looked pretty crappy even when new. I would have probably spent another several hundred dollars  just getting them smooth enough to plate. For my work in progress driver the powder coating is fine for me.

DSCF7573.thumb.JPG.111f1c0cadc56b71e74254769e062b88.JPG

• Like 2

Larry, 

Thanks for the advise on moving the hood back and installing the hood with the side louvers off.  It was fitting Ok, but  it needed that extra 1/8" of gap removed.  I like the color that you chose for the bumper medallions.  I think it suits the car well.      Hugh

• Like 1