Hubert_25-25

1925 Buick Standard Barn Raising

When I first removed the body on my 1925 Buick Standard Touring, it came off in pieces because I needed to separate the wood frame from the sheetmetal.  I reassembled the wood frame on the chassis after repairing and then drawing each wood piece.  Working on top of the chassis again, I refit the body on the wood frame after repairing all the metal and painted the body while the weather cooperated.   When the time came to really work on the chassis and the drive train, I wanted to remove the body and set it aside.  There were 4 of us that lifted the body and set it on my work table which I set on it's side to hold the body.  Here it sat for about a year and a half as I worked on the running gear and the engine unobstructed.  Installing the motor and drive train was so much easier without the body in place.  Finally the big day.  A large order of breakfast tacos was required.  I was not comfortable using four people lifting anymore.  If something happened on any corner, it would disastrous.  So I initiated an old pall bearers trick and went with six.  I also needed a few spotters since it was more critical putting it on the frame than on a wood structure.  I solicited help from friends and suggested that "anyone with a strong back and a weak mind" was invited.  One person called back and thought it was a mistake that I called him, but I assured him that he would be useful.  It actually went quicker than I thought.  It was great to bring a group of friends together to  assemble a piece of history.  Now the work begins in an effort to recover body panels from other parts of the house.  Just in time for spring cleaning.   Please note that you - my Pre War Buick forum friends are also responsible for this day and all of your guidance and enthusiasm to get us to this point.  I need to learn how to send a virtual taco.  Thank you.       Hugh

856844465_DSC_5501lowres.thumb.JPG.5e49d0654f1846d4290526b4deb66304.JPG916008594_DSC_5502lowres.thumb.JPG.dfd2bc20bc26051e922d7a99579ebd47.JPG1279350482_DSC_5507lowres.thumb.JPG.14bf8a972ead67c9507ba4eb24a0bb1b.JPG230922117_DSC_5510lowres.thumb.jpg.c02114a0b71836628ad4ece9941811d6.jpg386543520_DSC_5511Lowres.thumb.JPG.81f541099e7a277e84b6250708157b14.JPG704912555_DSC_5512lowres.thumb.JPG.0d62c8ecb198ae923146b80c09930a92.JPG2044907927_DSC_5516lowres.thumb.JPG.f744be7983926c3a889b04cc463a761b.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Friends, Fun, and Old Buicks   It doesn't get much better than that.  Hugh, you da man!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

2 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

I solicited help from friends and suggested that "anyone with a strong back and a weak mind" was invited.

That brought a smile to my face.  Fantastic report of a great event!

Almost a dozen helpers!  I counted 11 pairs of hands which comes out to 22 hands to help get this vehicle moving. I can't even get my 12 year old son to help with my 1933 Buicks without having to purchase him a new "skin" for his Fortnite addiction. 

It was a good day of teamwork.  My friend who took the pictures (he has a weak back but a strong mind) used his wife's professional camera.  The problem is that all the pictures he took were 12MB each.  So I had to use a snipping tool to drop the megapixel count to do the posting.   This photo is the latest on the car.  The radiator and fan hub is in.  The steering column and wheel are in, as well as all the spark and throttle mechanisms are now working.  Larry DiBarry provided a distributor advance rod, and sent me a drawing of the accelerator rod as mine was bent around completely the wrong way and I could not figure out how it was going to work.  I had an incorrect tie rod under the car, and I sourced another and cleaned it all up.  When I installed it, the front was toed out 2".  Back to the search for another tie rod.  Kevin Roner to my rescue as he is sending a correct although bent tie rod, as some people don't know that a tie rod is not the place to wrap that tow strap.   In High School my sister and her boyfriend had slid his LTD off the road and into a ditch.  She called and asked if I could come pull them out.  When I got there, he said he was ready, just pull him out.  I looked under the car and he had each end of the rope tied to the gas tank hanger straps.   Her date was not the sharpest tool in the shed.     

So beginning to put more parts on and I will post pictures as I continue to get these old parts to fit back together.     Hugh

IMG_7586.thumb.JPG.a7f07a4ec1f3d48b54fdcaf3d5e49a23.JPG

Hugh,  Nice to have so many friends that are willing to help,  sure makes for a nice day.  You are doing an excellent job on the restoration, congratulations.  Leon

Thanks for capturing and sharing such a great accomplishment! 

Congratulations!! 

There's nothing better than getting a bunch of your buddies together to get these larger tasks done.  The day I dropped the body felt like the "turning point" in the restoration.  Even after all the engine work and rebuilding the chassis, somehow that body being reunited to the frame was a major milestone and I felt like I made it "over the peak" and was on the down slope.  Huge sigh of relief!

Thanks for the photos!  This automobile will be a stunner!

Beautiful work!

Gary