Hubert_25-25

1925 Buick Standard Barn Raising

When I first removed the body on my 1925 Buick Standard Touring, it came off in pieces because I needed to separate the wood frame from the sheetmetal.  I reassembled the wood frame on the chassis after repairing and then drawing each wood piece.  Working on top of the chassis again, I refit the body on the wood frame after repairing all the metal and painted the body while the weather cooperated.   When the time came to really work on the chassis and the drive train, I wanted to remove the body and set it aside.  There were 4 of us that lifted the body and set it on my work table which I set on it's side to hold the body.  Here it sat for about a year and a half as I worked on the running gear and the engine unobstructed.  Installing the motor and drive train was so much easier without the body in place.  Finally the big day.  A large order of breakfast tacos was required.  I was not comfortable using four people lifting anymore.  If something happened on any corner, it would disastrous.  So I initiated an old pall bearers trick and went with six.  I also needed a few spotters since it was more critical putting it on the frame than on a wood structure.  I solicited help from friends and suggested that "anyone with a strong back and a weak mind" was invited.  One person called back and thought it was a mistake that I called him, but I assured him that he would be useful.  It actually went quicker than I thought.  It was great to bring a group of friends together to  assemble a piece of history.  Now the work begins in an effort to recover body panels from other parts of the house.  Just in time for spring cleaning.   Please note that you - my Pre War Buick forum friends are also responsible for this day and all of your guidance and enthusiasm to get us to this point.  I need to learn how to send a virtual taco.  Thank you.       Hugh

856844465_DSC_5501lowres.thumb.JPG.5e49d0654f1846d4290526b4deb66304.JPG916008594_DSC_5502lowres.thumb.JPG.dfd2bc20bc26051e922d7a99579ebd47.JPG1279350482_DSC_5507lowres.thumb.JPG.14bf8a972ead67c9507ba4eb24a0bb1b.JPG230922117_DSC_5510lowres.thumb.jpg.c02114a0b71836628ad4ece9941811d6.jpg386543520_DSC_5511Lowres.thumb.JPG.81f541099e7a277e84b6250708157b14.JPG704912555_DSC_5512lowres.thumb.JPG.0d62c8ecb198ae923146b80c09930a92.JPG2044907927_DSC_5516lowres.thumb.JPG.f744be7983926c3a889b04cc463a761b.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Friends, Fun, and Old Buicks   It doesn't get much better than that.  Hugh, you da man!

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

I solicited help from friends and suggested that "anyone with a strong back and a weak mind" was invited.

That brought a smile to my face.  Fantastic report of a great event!

• Like 1

Almost a dozen helpers!  I counted 11 pairs of hands which comes out to 22 hands to help get this vehicle moving. I can't even get my 12 year old son to help with my 1933 Buicks without having to purchase him a new "skin" for his Fortnite addiction. 

• Like 1

It was a good day of teamwork.  My friend who took the pictures (he has a weak back but a strong mind) used his wife's professional camera.  The problem is that all the pictures he took were 12MB each.  So I had to use a snipping tool to drop the megapixel count to do the posting.   This photo is the latest on the car.  The radiator and fan hub is in.  The steering column and wheel are in, as well as all the spark and throttle mechanisms are now working.  Larry DiBarry provided a distributor advance rod, and sent me a drawing of the accelerator rod as mine was bent around completely the wrong way and I could not figure out how it was going to work.  I had an incorrect tie rod under the car, and I sourced another and cleaned it all up.  When I installed it, the front was toed out 2".  Back to the search for another tie rod.  Kevin Roner to my rescue as he is sending a correct although bent tie rod, as some people don't know that a tie rod is not the place to wrap that tow strap.   In High School my sister and her boyfriend had slid his LTD off the road and into a ditch.  She called and asked if I could come pull them out.  When I got there, he said he was ready, just pull him out.  I looked under the car and he had each end of the rope tied to the gas tank hanger straps.   Her date was not the sharpest tool in the shed.     

So beginning to put more parts on and I will post pictures as I continue to get these old parts to fit back together.     Hugh

IMG_7586.thumb.JPG.a7f07a4ec1f3d48b54fdcaf3d5e49a23.JPG

• Like 10

Hugh,  Nice to have so many friends that are willing to help,  sure makes for a nice day.  You are doing an excellent job on the restoration, congratulations.  Leon

• Like 1

Thanks for capturing and sharing such a great accomplishment! 

Congratulations!! 

• Like 1

There's nothing better than getting a bunch of your buddies together to get these larger tasks done.  The day I dropped the body felt like the "turning point" in the restoration.  Even after all the engine work and rebuilding the chassis, somehow that body being reunited to the frame was a major milestone and I felt like I made it "over the peak" and was on the down slope.  Huge sigh of relief!

Thanks for the photos!  This automobile will be a stunner!

Beautiful work!

Gary

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Spent the big bucks for new shoes that arrived yesterday.  It's a full day with my friend when it is time to install 5 tires.   Finally 5 matching tires.  Photo 1 is of one of the tires that was on the car when I bought it.  It would actually hold air for 10 minutes and it was leaking at the valve stem and not the tire.

One interesting thing about my wheels and the spare tire carrier.  The rims only go on  the wheels 1 way due to the wheel bolt spacing not being centered on the valve stem.  What this means is that, if you had white walls on the car, you can not flip the rims for blackwalls.  You would have to dismount the tire and reinstall on the rim.  Then the spare holder is also a 1 way affair.  It is built so that the face side of the spare tire faces the front of the car.  So if you have white walls on the ground, you will have a black wall showing on the rear of the car, unless your tires have white walls on both sides. 

Here is your history lesson. 1925 is the first year for Balloon tires for Buick and likely many other makes.  Buick and Pierce Arrow chose to go with 22" rims.  Buick chose to use 22 x 5.50 for the Standard, and 22 x 6.00 for the Master.  22 x 5.50 is no longer available.  1926 and the switch was to 21" wheels for the next 3 years for Buick.  So 22" tires became a one year only tire size for only basically two manufacturers.  22" tires were not available for many decades, and people sought out used tires where they could find them, or replaced the wheels with 21" rims if they could find a donor Buick.  The son of the previous owner told me that when they bought the car in 1958, they drove 150 miles to Houston TX just to find used 22" tires.        Hugh

1885167268_2015-06-0816_04_05.thumb.jpg.b45ecd89b57a5f83cb38ddeb9f141cf7.jpg972882340_2015-06-0813_59_37.thumb.jpg.a1dcece05c1308b174aab58f5d84214a.jpgIMG_7947.thumb.JPG.a0b3b8a5543d6215582a0a1fe123f3a4.JPGIMG_7952.thumb.JPG.0a7ea36fcf13cfe4b979e90bb03271c2.JPG

• Like 9

Hugh,

I'll pick up Sandy Rose on my way down and we can all go for a ride!  That is going to be one beautiful car when you are finished with it.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

Hugh

Looks amazing I still haven't figured out how you had the time to work on the car and compile all of the amazing and detailed posts on how it all goes together; not to mention your responses to to others on the forum. I have a hard time just keeping up with the reading!

Is there a starting date? Looks pretty close. I'm thinking it looks pretty good for tour as is , you know, speed trials  , that sort of thing. The bigger tires are probably good for another 5mph. There is a calculation in there somewhere.

Brad

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
  Once I learn how to post a video I may have something more to show you.  I took the Buick for it's first drive in probably 55 years!  Really an impressive car, especially when I compare it to the 1922 Dodge brothers and the 1929 and 30 Model A that I have driven.  Much more refined.  

I started with filling the vacuum tank with gas.  I filled it 2 days earlier, and some of the gas leaked past the needle and seat and I had an occasional drip that smelled up my garage.  I figured it might until it ran a while and really seated in.  Easter Sunday at 2:00 pm I again filled the vacuum tank.  No leaks this time.  I pulled the choke, retarded the spark, and gave it a little throttle.  It cranked 3 revs and it popped.  I pushed in the starter again and it started.  I shoved in the choke, advanced the spark a little, Wow.  It runs silky smooth.  I kept the idle low hoping to let the water pump bushings seat in.  The car will just lope very slowly if you set it that way.   13 in HG on the vacuum gauge and steady.  I may be able to improve this with the use of a timing light and a dwell meter.  Oil Pressure at 25 psig.  

It sounded good, so we decided to put a couple of gallons in the gas tank and try to establish vacuum.  A few attempts and running out of gas, but it finally did establish itself.  I did use a brake vacuum tool and pulled a little gasoline forward that way.  Once the vacuum system was established, no issues with continuous running.    

I live on 5 acres just outside the city limits.  My driveway is long and has a circle at both ends.  We made multiple trips with a couple of us taking turns driving.  The clutch is really light on these cars.  

Everything was good on all the trips, but on one, I noticed a couple drips of antifreeze coming out of the front water pump seal when the car was stopped.  I unscrewed the brass nut, and the outer lip seal was almost all the way out.  I had used permatex #2 between the seal and the bore, and I think it got hot and slippery.  I was able to push the seal back in by hand.  I know Larry Schramm said he did not secure the seals with anything and the nuts were decorative, but I plan to make a 2 part piece that will prevent the seals from coming out.  I want to make these in a split version so that I can install them, and remove them if I ever need to install packing on short notice.  

I did take a couple of the large O rings that I have and I cut out a small section so that they could be installed as a temporary means of preventing the seal from coming out, but I prefer a more robust design.  So I don't think I will drive it again until I have the seal holders in place.   

I need to go thru the brake procedure again. since they have worn in a little.  I have no lights or horn- only ignition wiring, so it will take a little time before I actually get on the road.  

A big step today.  Thanks for everyone's help along the way.   Another fine Buick running again.    Hugh
IMG_7990.thumb.JPG.c7f8aa7fe904cc4c893247abcb30319f.JPG
IMG_7993.thumb.JPG.932518b95696c5ffa0b0eac90a035ebd.JPG
1120887122_IMG_8805Easter2019.thumb.jpeg.db0bbcd465b861cc0c54b9d38affcfb7.jpeg
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, Hubert_25-25 said:
  Once I learn how to post a video I may have something more to show you.  I took the Buick for it's first drive in probably 55 years!  Really an impressive car, especially when I compare it to the 1922 Dodge brothers and the 1929 and 30 Model A that I have driven.  Much more refined.  

I started with filling the vacuum tank with gas.  I filled it 2 days earlier, and some of the gas leaked past the needle and seat and I had an occasional drip that smelled up my garage.  I figured it might until it ran a while and really seated in.  Easter Sunday at 2:00 pm I again filled the vacuum tank.  No leaks this time.  I pulled the choke, retarded the spark, and gave it a little throttle.  It cranked 3 revs and it popped.  I pushed in the starter again and it started.  I shoved in the choke, advanced the spark a little, Wow.  It runs silky smooth.  I kept the idle low hoping to let the water pump bushings seat in.  The car will just lope very slowly if you set it that way.   13 in HG on the vacuum gauge and steady.  I may be able to improve this with the use of a timing light and a dwell meter.  Oil Pressure at 25 psig.  

It sounded good, so we decided to put a couple of gallons in the gas tank and try to establish vacuum.  A few attempts and running out of gas, but it finally did establish itself.  I did use a brake vacuum tool and pulled a little gasoline forward that way.  Once the vacuum system was established, no issues with continuous running.    

I live on 5 acres just outside the city limits.  My driveway is long and has a circle at both ends.  We made multiple trips with a couple of us taking turns driving.  The clutch is really light on these cars.  

Everything was good on all the trips, but on one, I noticed a couple drips of antifreeze coming out of the front water pump seal when the car was stopped.  I unscrewed the brass nut, and the outer lip seal was almost all the way out.  I had used permatex #2 between the seal and the bore, and I think it got hot and slippery.  I was able to push the seal back in by hand.  I know Larry Schramm said he did not secure the seals with anything and the nuts were decorative, but I plan to make a 2 part piece that will prevent the seals from coming out.  I want to make these in a split version so that I can install them, and remove them if I ever need to install packing on short notice.  

I did take a couple of the large O rings that I have and I cut out a small section so that they could be installed as a temporary means of preventing the seal from coming out, but I prefer a more robust design.  So I don't think I will drive it again until I have the seal holders in place.   

I need to go thru the brake procedure again. since they have worn in a little.  I have no lights or horn- only ignition wiring, so it will take a little time before I actually get on the road.  

A big step today.  Thanks for everyone's help along the way.   Another fine Buick running again.    Hugh
IMG_7990.thumb.JPG.c7f8aa7fe904cc4c893247abcb30319f.JPG
IMG_7993.thumb.JPG.932518b95696c5ffa0b0eac90a035ebd.JPG

Awesome Hugh!  I love the reflection on those engine covers! 

I know that was the first time driving this Buick, but was that the first time ever you've driven a Buick of this vintage? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Don, 

Almost on year 4 and you really hope that what you are restoring drives nice.  The oldest Buick I had driven previously was a 1962 Skylark.  I am so far very impressed with how easy it is to drive.   

• Like 1

I can imagine how happy you must be!  You are doing a wonderful job with it, very inspirational! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 27donb said:

Awesome Hugh!  I love the reflection on those engine covers! 

I know that was the first time driving this Buick, but was that the first time ever you've driven a Buick of this vintage? 

Awesome news Hugh, Big weekend for both of us!  Thanks for still taking them time to message back and forth so many times with me Sir!  I wish I had known you were working on your car I would not have bugged you so much!!!!

Again, Congrats Sir!!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The doors are on the car now.  I had to make new rubber door bumpers as the original ones were hard as a rock.  The correct rubber to use is 30 durometer if you are looking.  Not too hard, not too soft.  Not expensive, and the 36" x 2" piece is enough to share with another Buick friend.   The following is how they are cut.  They sometimes take a little trimming to get them just right, but you can do that with a brand new single edge razor blade.  I did find one place in Australia that carried them, but none in the US.

http://www.oldera.com.au/door-buff-block-all-gm-to-1925-28/.  They also sell replacement rubber for the door dovetails - as Bob's Automobilia does as well.  

I do not know the span of years these were used on, and if these are only for the open cars or closed cars as well.  The old ones had a single nail thru them, but I do not know if that was original, or if someone did that to keep them from falling out.  

Hugh

IMG_8072.thumb.JPG.c056e42516d9e40c54f5121a62adf453.JPG

IMG_8069.thumb.JPG.01d16cda39ac1c075b06ea5472d49dfa.JPG516790728_DoorRubberBumpers1.thumb.JPG.31f3f11935d5234f5e97dcb8464a87fa.JPG

1197467393_DoorRubberBumpers2.thumb.JPG.321257e1639f23af723cc79dc0caf89d.JPG633507202_IMG_80745-22-19.thumb.JPG.f17aa083eae3f6ad66cf0ba83196830f.JPG

• Like 8