Are parts sellers taking advantage of Reatta owners?

Barney Eaton

Someone posted they had Reatta memorabilia for sale so I went to Ebay to check it out.......not sure I found is "stuff" it would be nice if they post a link.

What I did find was this seller in Phoenix............

https://www.ebay.com/sch/jh15392011/m.html?item=223329031821&hash=item33ff72968d%3Ag%3AM9gAAOSwVCpcF~PE%3Ark%3A21%3Apf%3A0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

As an example he has the HVAC control listed one place for a Reatta at $89.95 but another one for a Riviera is listed at $64.95

He also has at least two used Teves accumulators.

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm wondering if this sort ad should be allowed in the Buy/Sell forum? The Buy/Sell forum is for posting items for sale. Ads like this that just link to eBay are not how the Buy/Sell forum should be used in my opinion. What do you guys think?

I have regarded the buy/sell section as an extension for this forums users. I too am concerned with links to locations that may or may not have properly vetted parts or information. As Waltmail pointed out, the climate control head unit has clearly misleading or incorrect fitment information. I realize caveat emptor when buying parts, particularly used ones, I am just not comfortable sending forum visitors there. The Reatta store was a good example of a site that had the chaff weeded out, raising the comfort level.

Ronnie.........I am not saying the person that posted on the Reatta buy/sell is the same as the Ebay ad I posted the link to..........I am just speculating that some of these Ebay sellers may think they can get more for a part if they say it is for a Reatta.

It is pretty common on Ebay for parts to be listed for incorrect years,  hopefully Reatta owners know what they need.

If you go to the link site,  then click on the sellers other items (upper right side) you will see two different ads for the same item with different prices....this seller has a Reatta Teves accumulator, that he says fits 1988-1991,  we know the '91 Reatta did not use an accumulator.....elsewhere he has ....what looks like the same picture and the part is listed for a 1989 Cadillac ......at a lower price.

43 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

Ronnie.........I am not saying the person that posted on the Reatta buy/sell is the same as the Ebay ad I posted the link to..........I am just speculating that some of these Ebay sellers may think they can get more for a part if they say it is for a Reatta.

Sorry that I misunderstood. I thought the link you posted and the post recently made in the Buy/Sell forum were one in the same.   My feelings are still the same about random posts about items for sale on eBay without the poster giving any meaningful descriptions and prices of the items. I would still like to to know how other members feel about posts like that in the Buy/Sell forum.

I personally believe that if someone wants to sell Reatta parts on this buy/sell forum, then they need to be very precise in the item(s) description, quality (NOS/used/etc), price, shipping, and contact info.  After that has been accomplished, they're welcome to add at the end a link to eBay...but only after they've done right by listing the details here first.  Just my opinion.... 

I think the best place to buy parts is from the guys on the forum who are active in the Reatta club. That would be Jim Finn and Marck Barker. They offer great parts at a good price and actually care about the Reatta.

The only reason I got into parts myself [other then I'm cheap] is that I have this huge You Pick yard near me and I realized I was probably buying parts from Jim that he may have pulled parts from this same yard near me! [His son lives about 30 miles from me...]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I think the best place to buy parts is from the guys on the forum who are active in the Reatta club. That would be Jim Finn and Marck Barker. They offer great parts at a good price and actually care about the Reatta.

The only reason I got into parts myself [other then I'm cheap] is that I have this huge You Pick yard near me and I realized I was probably buying parts from Jim that he may have pulled parts from this same yard near me! [His son lives about 30 miles from me...]

You should add your name to the  two you list; you've been very helpful to me in the past

Murray

Thanks for the compliment and it's getting close for me to get in. As i stated on another post I bought a rusted 1989 Red/Tan coupe that I found out later had a lot of parts replaced. It needs cradle bolts but is a great runner. Might be a parts car if I don;t sell it.

• Like 1

I've bought and sold stuff on the Buy/Sell part of the Forum.  I've also bought Reatta parts from the main suppliers listed in Resources.  I have always trusted these sources; I'm sure it's because these people (you) are my "buds". 😁 Most of you I'll never meet, however I feel a special bond with people, of all walks of life, who are fascinated with this incredible automobile. 🚙 It is from the members whose ads I expect to see in the B/S section.

It seems it has worked well this way for many years.  I believe it's a matter of trust, or, as we used to say in Queens in the 1960's, I know where you live.😎

I know how to get to EBay or Rock Auto or Amazon or any of the myriads of parts suppliers waiting to take my buck who don't know the difference between the 1990 and the 1991 Reatta brake systems.

So Ronnie I think I agree with many here that the B/S should be more hometown.