$OLD 1937 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

A 37 120 conv coupe is  a great car but your ad stinks!

First thing I thought seeing the ad was, I think I want to sell but if I don’t I’ll keep it.  I can relate, sometimes you think you want to sell but you don’t want to try too hard should someone actually take you up on it.  

Good luck with the sale and more info please!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, C Carl said:

In any case, location would be beneficial to seller and interested buyers.  -  Carl 

Location is a HUGE consideration these days with the costs of shipping.

One may want to know if its close enough to drive to check it out or buy  plane ticket.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

I think the advertisement is appropriate. If a potential buyer is interested then he /she need only post a request for more pics and ask a few questions. I wonder if the brown poodle comes with the car. My 8 year old is begging me for a Dog and this might be the excuse to get one. 

Bucketof Bolts hit the nail on the head.

Still I will add a few photos I have from Last Year's Christmas Card.

Car is in San Marino CA, right near Pasadena

MJH_2424.jpg

MJH_2379.jpg

For some reason Packard decided to make the 120 more attractive than the senior cars.     They are great cars and fall in a reasonably liquid space of the market.

But,  I'm only trying to help by suggesting a bit more work on your part up front will save you time and aggravation down the road.   

Btw,  never trust someone that doesn't like dogs!

• Like 1

It has been my experience that giving a buyer all the information and photos up front saves a lot of time and aggravation from the tire-kickers, curiosity seekers, and photo collectors that inevitably show up. It's always my goal to have the only question someone asks be, "How soon can I have it?" You'll quickly tire of E-mails that say, "Can I see photos of the engine and interior?" especially when those guys see the photos and then vanish forever.

Holding back and hoping for someone to contact you is probably going to be frustrating because you'll have 50-60 non-buyers to wade through to find your buyer. Don't assume that you can "reel them in" once you start a conversation. Most potential suitors are nothing more than dreamers or, if this were eBay, what I call "sport bidders." They talk a good game, but ultimately their pockets are turned out and they just wanted to see how desperate you are.

Good luck, I love the 120s. I think they're the best-driving of all Packards.

• Like 4

I would think that if there were an asking price you would get a more informed shopper.

I wont call for a price, if it is not listed I assume that it must be to high.

There are many cars on my bucket list and this is one of them.

Matt's comments are quite sound.

A while back there was a car advertised here for an astoundingly high price, and several people counseled the seller to that effect.  It has been advertised lower and lower, and now myself having sold a car it interests me.  So I wrote asking if the car was available and for photos. I even stated what I wanted to see.

I got two photos both which were posted on this forum.

So I asked again. . . . could you please send me, etc .etc. . .

I got two more photos.  No more information.

I recommended that the fellow look at various dealer's websites to see how they represent cars, how they take photos, what they take photos of, how many.  That he should write up a detailed history of the car and it's condition, and all that.

I referenced Matt Harwood as I feel Matt is a decent guy who does represent his cars well.  Perhaps this fellow will consign the car to Matt. 

Anyway, being a buyer, I find it just as annoying to try to get information out of a seller as sellers do entertaining tire kickers.  Dealers do have their role to play and can be an asset to the hobby, so long at their prices are reasonable, with reasonable profits figured in, and their cars are really cars for sale.  Meaning,  put in the price !  This "Inquire" bullshit you see so much of drives me nuts.  As Jack M also said, I won't "inquire".  I just assume it's too expensive or the dealer is fishing for an appraisal.  For sale means for sale.

-- Luke

• Like 3

If I were in the market, hunting for one of these, I would already be in contact with Mr. Green37. 

Perhaps it would be worthwhile repeating the story of my successful search for the car you see in my whatchacallit, (avatar?), there in the corner. That is my sweet, rugged, tight, tough, original, unrestored 1924 Cadillac 7 passenger touring for any reader not yet acquainted with the old cruiser. Yes. Yeah, I think it just might put a simple reality check forward here to aid car hunters. O.K. I guess I will do exactly that :

After 3 years of hunting for preferably such a 1924 Cadillac (the only acceptable variance would have been a 1925 - they are both model V63), I yet again opened up my new Hemmings. There was the most scant listing I had ever seen. "1925" (actually did turn out to be the preferred '24, but man, if you are looking for "Number One", and "Number Two" of a rare car comes up, don't waste time debating with yourself). Anyway  : "1925 Cadillac Touring, R. Pierce, P.O. Box xxx, Akron xxxxx, OH". That's all. No price, no phone, that's it. (By the way, did any of you know Ray Pierce?).

I made no assumptions, did not second guess motivation or engage in armchair psychoanalysis. Sent off a letter of introduction which included my work and home phone numbers. In fairly short order came a response with more info, and a picture which totally stole my heart away. A reasonable asking price assured me this car was the highest priority in my life at the time. Still no phone number or street address. So off went quite a list of questions. Back came "The longest letter I have ever written about a car". Phone number included. I've had the car for 30 years now, and such a fine deal on an original 1924 or 1925 Cadillac in any condition has not surfaced in the passing period of time.

Look, I had to fly back East over Thanksgiving and drive in snow to see the Cad', and blah, blah, blah. Most people are dealing with a tough Winter right now. I used to spend a couple months in California every Winter. The astronomical and engineering associations I belong to, my activities up at the Mt. Wilson Observatory above Pasadena, oh, and of course the now defunct Cliffs Books on Colorado Ave. did not have to argue too hard in order to keep me in the area. 

I don't know the seller. He looks vaguely familiar. I do have a glitch in my "facial recognition software", so I often get embarrassed with mistaken identity issues. But it is possible we have talked at the San Marino Classic which Aaron and Valerie Weiss put on in June. Or maybe I have seen him in a movie made a bit West of him going out the 134. Maybe at the Huntington Library ? No, I don't know the owner, but now that you have the Packard's location, what a great time to fly out to Southern California. You can't lose. (Hmmmm......... Seems it has been raining more than usual there lately - check long range weather forecast).

Very best of luck in the separation from your beautiful "baby", Green37. I'm sorry that time had to come.    -   Carl 

P.S.  I just checked. The San Marino Motor Classic will be on Sunday, June 9th this year. 9:00 - 3:00. Just think : you could store the car in California, and fly out sometime in April, enjoy the region, and leave in mid June. All mountain passes should be clear of snow by then for a memorable drive home. That is what I would do if I were in a position to still be acquiring things. That stage of life is in the rear view mirror for me at this late date. Go for it, one of you youngsters  !  -  CC 

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I live near this car.  If there are forum "regulars" who want me to take a look at it for them, I'd be able to do that near the end of the week.  Just PM me. 

The Forum Police are always quick to jump on any ad that doesn't meet their satisfaction and then point them to the "suggestions" page, yet the biggest and boldest suggestion at the end is an absolute for the posters and it never gets any attention:

It is NOT okay for forum users to make negative comments on a seller's listing, nor is it okay to question its asking price.

• Like 2

Yep.  And, as I've stated before, a seller should have an option to "lock" his ad so no comments are possible.  If he wants to leave it "open" then people could give any criticism they wish.  Surely that can't be that hard from a programming standpoint?  And sorry about calling you Shirley.....

Criticism welcome.

Ten years ago I had plane tickets to see a 36 120 and a 38 Buick in the East.

This car was mentioned on this forum 10 years ago with a casual reference.

No photos were posted and I pursued the owner.

I was aware that these don't show up very often.

When weather clears, I'll get the car out for more photos.

Suggestions are needed as to what site I should post. (Hemmings, eBay?)

Take it to the San Marino Classic, for sale signs are not allowed, picnic by it, and offer it to intrested parties. I’ll be there with a Blue Pierce Arrow. Nice car, but difficult to sell today. Under rated and under appreciated platform. 

My reading comprehension must not be great because I think there is invaluable advice being given by guys that know.  I’ve seen nothing but nice things said about the car itself.

I guess the forum isn’t really for discussion.   What little interesting conversation that actually happens on here should be encouraged.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If it’s Chuck, he lives about four miles from me. Since he is asking about servicing brakes on a 120, I expect I will be seeing it soon. I’m sure the car has been at the San Marino Classic that Aaron runs. It’s a great show and have enjoyed my time on the field there.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Spoke to Chuck at Lunch today. He bought the car. It’s an ex Tom Mix car from Massachusetts. Tom always had nice stuff. I’ll be going for a ride in it in a few weeks. 👍

• Like 2