Sign in to follow this  
David White

what color top to put on our Reatta

we have a 1990 red and tan convertible, wondering what it would look like with a black cloth top instead of the tan one that it came with. it has saddle interior

David

For some reason,  most of the red convertibles with tan interior had tan tops........it was not mandatory, you could order black, white, or tan with any color choice.

Robert Casey booklet shows 597 of that color combination had tan tops..... but only 16 had a black top (in 1990 some black tops were vinyl and some were cloth, we have yet to discover why)

Black cloth would  be a nice change........some suppliers have tan cloth.

I don’t have a picture of a vert with at a black top. I know I saw one somewhere once, but here’s a concept coupe with the roof painted black. 

8A246BF7-2786-4700-ADE7-56CDF6BA399F.jpeg

The black top works well with the red/tan, couldn't imagine white top especially if pinstripe is gold.  The black top would probably look exceptionally good on a car with the black body side molding.  If you put a quality top on it's not a cheap proposition so make sure the color is what you want

Good looking car. What car did the wheels come off of ?

Surprisingly, I really like the black top. I agree, with black moldings even better 😁

Hi,

I finally responded to this this thread with a pic of a black roof with the black moldings.  Sorry it took so long!!

Jim (Nittany)

100_1717.jpeg

Edited by Nittany (see edit history)
  • Like 2

David,

I'll point out that my Reatta is "pinstripe - delete" from the factory.  Kinda rare I'm told . . . does your Reatta have a pinstripe and if so what color?  I am aware that some people have covered painted pinstripes with tape stripes if a change of color is desired.

Nittany

Nittany,

That is interesting, would you know if the factory added those stripes over top of the painted one or are you saying that the owners did it? Reason I ask is mine had the vinyl stripes put on over top of the painted ones, but they were the exact same color...Hmmmm? I have since removed all of the vinyl stripes since they were coming off in places, plus I think the original pinstripe looks best and I can brag about it being hand painted. ;)

Scott - 

I've never heard of and doubt very much that the vinyl tape pinstripes were added over the painted pinstripes at the factory.  However, once the Reatta reached the dealership, most anything could and would be done to sell the car.  How do I know?  I worked as a sales manager for a Pontiac Buick GMC store during the Reatta's era 😜

Nittany

• Like 1